For Allen Levine: Lie Nielsen Tool Event in Brooklyn

Bill Satko

Allen, you can't miss this. Take your camera and get a report about Matt Bickford's wood planes. Go!:D

From Lie Nielsen's emailed newsletter:

JAN 7-8, 2011
Brooklyn, NY � 3rd Ward

The 3rd Ward is an art center dedicated to providing space, tools, and classes for creative professionals. They offer photo studios, a wood and metal shop, digital media lab, jewelry studio, and over 150 interdisciplinary classes. If you are seeking shop space in the city, this may be the answer! Visit them at http://www.3rdward.com/

Guest demonstrators include: Raney Nelson of DAED toolworks; Matt Bickford of MS Bickford Planes; and Tim Corbett of Gramercy Tools and Tools for Working Wood.

I just saw this post. Darn, I had all day today.
Tomorrow is out, I have someone coming over I cant cancel the appt.
Thanx bill, please pm me next time if you dont mind, IM sure they would have loved me with my camera today.

I avoid that area of brooklyn, because Ill end up in Mr. Moscowitzs' place and he has more toys than toysrus.(and he has a workbench set up with wood so you can try out anything, and last time I was there he encourages it. Hes kinda cruel, he puts what youre thinking about purchasing into your hand,then walks away, its just really cruel)

Last edited:
Hey Allen i was taught thats the first art of salesmanship. Put the product in the customers hand.:rofl::D:thumb: But then dont walk away. Ask him 5 questions.

how does it feel is it what you expected. If not change it out for a different model. repeat until he says yes.

Now ask him 3 more questions related to the product that you percieve will get you a yes.

The final one is cash or card.:rofl: At that point the majority cave and a sale is made.;)

thats down rite dis[pictable,,, to have a plane for the shooting board having a tilted handle,,yu got one of those yet bill ?????

well after looking at the pics, i sure hope one of those shows dont get close to me...wow what a selection and some big names there as well..

Last edited:
Im not suprised Mr. Burks mentioned the diversity of the crowd.
There are few events in this city. And I think I can safely say NY is one of the most populated places on earth, and Im quite sure there are alot of interested folks.
The 3rd ward place is larger than the place I went for a class, but same idea.
Shared space with membership and use of tools once you qualify.

Last edited:
thats down rite dis[pictable,,, to have a plane for the shooting board having a tilted handle,,yu got one of those yet bill ?????

I am afraid Mr. Lie Nielsen has more tools than I have dollars to buy right now. The 51 Shoot Board Plane is their latest plane. They are going to follow up with the metal shooting board sometime in the future.

The 3rd ward place is larger than the place I went for a class, but same idea.
Shared space with membership and use of tools once you qualify.

I think it would be a great deal for someone with limited space. You could concentrate on hand tools and a bench and utilize the 3rd Ward for all your machinery needs. The direction I am going in woodworking, I would give up my planer, table saw and jointer, if I had access to them at a place like that. They take up too much room and make too much dust.

If you live in a condo, or small apt and want to enjoy woodworking with all the machines, this is an option.
For me though, I like the option of only having to walk out to my yard to work, and having access all the time, not worrying about how the machines are working, sharpness of blade, (someone might be using it improperly)
But I still think its a great idea for those that are limited.

as far as access to handtools for tryouts, I doubt there are that many places that cater to this like Joel M's place, and thats only a 35 minute ride for me.

Last edited: