Making the electric and dust connections on my Festool Tools stay attached

Frank Pellow

I have owned my Festool random orbital Rotex sander (RO 150 E) for about two years and it has been used A LOT. It is much more efficient (and clean) when used in conjunction with a shop vac (in my case a Festool CT 22 E).
I have had two ongoing design problems with this combination and both have been reported to Festool in hopes that they will correct things in future products. These problems are:
(1) The electric cord pulls out of the receptacle in the vacuum far too easily.

(2) The vacuum hose pulls off the connection on the sander far too easily.​
The first problem probably stems from the fact that, in North America, our plugs have just got a couple of simple blades whereas in most places in the world the plugs are more substantial (and thus adhere better). I suspect that little ,if any, rigorous on the job testing was done with the north American receptacles in the Festool CT series of vacuums.

As to the second problem, the shape of the hose connection is different on the replacement model of my Rotex sander. The shape is now round. That will probably help some but it will not really solve the “pull off” problem, what is needed is some type of locking connection. By the way, I know that it won’t solve the problem because my Festool Linear Duplex sander (LS 130 EQ) has a round dust port and the hose sometimes pulls off it when I don’t want it to. It doesn’t pull off as often, but it does pull off when least convenient (e.g when I am up a ladder).

Of course, I need to use these things now, and can’t wait for some future fix. This picture shows how I fixed things.

Festool vacuum enhancments -small.jpg

The short extension cord with three receptacles is duct-taped onto the receptacle in the vac, and the hose is clamped onto the sander port. It is not pretty but it works.

Good old duct tape

To paraphrase Garrison Keilor "It keeps North America together until theres time to fix it.":p

Maybe Uncle Bob Marino will pass your pics along to the powers that be at Festool. That should shame them into fixing that flaw:rolleyes:

What's a linear duplex sander? What applications would you use it for instead of the rotex?

Frank,
You need the overhead "Boom". It takes care of all of those problems. Give Uncle Bob a call. As you know, he enjoys taking all of our money.

Brian

To paraphrase Garrison Keilor "It keeps North America together until theres time to fix it.":p
Actually, for some repairs, duct tape is the best permanent fix. :)

Maybe Uncle Bob Marino will pass your pics along to the powers that be at Festool. That should shame them into fixing that flaw:rolleyes:
I have already spoken to Christian Oltzscher, the president of Festool USA and he told me that he had forwarded my recommendations for these changes to Germany (along with about a dozen other recommendations). I have heard back from Festool Germany about some of my suggestions, but not about these ones.

What's a linear duplex sander? What applications would you use it for instead of the rotex?
This sander has a rectangular 3 by 5 inch pad and operates in a straight linear back and forth motion. Thus, it is like hand sanding only faster. And it can get into tight places and near to edges. Also, the pad can be replaced with a lot of different profiles for jobs like sanding moldings. Festool describes it better than I can at: http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=7&prodid=567777

Frank,
You need the overhead "Boom". It takes care of all of those problems. Give Uncle Bob a call. As you know, he enjoys taking all of our money.

Brian
Brian, that might solve the problems, but I already have something that works for me. I will keep the boom arm in mind for other reasons, but will not be buying it any time soon.

I have some trouble keeping the fein vac hose on my 150 sander.
I have velcro wraps holding the cord to the hose, keeping them together.
Sure wish there was some kind of a twist lock or something.

[looking for my duct tape again]

jist a suggestion

some of the household vacs have a twist loc setup on them perhaps one of you engeneering types could rig it to work. hoover upright has one near the connection of motor and flex house.just a pin that goes in aslot then twist to hold in place.. lots of dead house vacs around to be salvaged from. just contack your local electro lux or rainbow salepeople they done got the names of there new customers:D

(1) The electric cord pulls out of the receptacle in the vacuum far too easily.

(2) The vacuum hose pulls off the connection on the sander far too easily.

I'd like to add:
(3) The electric cord pulls out of the socket on the sander far too easily.

My DC install project has been keeping me from using the sander (my 1st Festool) I bought a couple months ago. But Christmas Eve day I finally put it to some light use and was a little disappointed in the whole plug/socket arrangement at the sander end. I would think some sort of twist connect fitting to lock it on would have been a lot smarter.
Anyway - on the positive side, I debated using it when I did as I was already dressed to go to some relatives for dinner. But I threw caution to the wind. I'm happy to report NO sawdust on my clothes and no wardrobe changes were required. The vac/sander combo works great.

some of the household vacs have a twist loc setup on them perhaps one of you engeneering types could rig it to work. hoover upright has one near the connection of motor and flex house.just a pin that goes in aslot then twist to hold in place.. lots of dead house vacs around to be salvaged from. just contack your local electro lux or rainbow salepeople they done got the names of there new customers:D

Good idea Larry. :thumb: I'll have to look into that

Never any trouble with Festool but I have felt your pain with other machines.
Like Steve. Velcro supports the power cable real well for me.
A turn of tape on the sander before the hose works.
A cable tie sinched tight ot a hose clamp have all worked too.:thumb:

Even a friction fitting like some household vacuumes use (kirby) would keep the hose from pulling out. For the power cord waht about using a clip? Depress the clip to remove the cord, kinda like inside of electronic devices. Just a few more ideas that could be passed on to them.

Sandpaper on the attachment

Someone suggested that I glue sandpaper to the attachment part of the sander. I am embarrassed :eek: to admit that I can’t remember who that person was or where they made the suggestion. Whoever (and wherever) the suggestion came from, I thank you.

Early this morning I did this. I used a narrow strip Norton 100 grit paper attached it with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive and let it sit for half a day. Here is how it looks:

Rotex 150 with sandpaper on connection -1 -small.jpg

A couple of hours ago, I attached the hose then gave the sander a good workout with lots of twisting and pulling. The hose stayed attached! :) :thumb:

That’s the good news. The bad news (only minor bad news) that the act of attaching and detaching the hose is hard on the glue and I don't expect the sandpaper to stay on the sander for more than about 10 attachments.

Here the sander is with the hose attached:

Rotex 150 with sandpaper on connection -2 -small.JPG

A couple of hours ago, I attached the hose then gave the sander a good workout with lots of twisting and pulling. The hose stayed attached! :) :thumb:

That’s the good news. The bad news (only minor bad news) that the act of attaching and detaching the hose is hard on the glue and I don't expect the sandpaper to stay on the sander for more than about 10 attachments.

Here the sander is with the hose attached:

View attachment 5497
I am happy :) to report that I was wrong in my prediction about longevity. The hose has now been on and off at least 100 times and the sandpaper is still attached. And the modification still works -the host has only become detached a couple of times when I was working.

]

frank, if you`re happy with the modification then try 3-m spray 90 next time...it flat sticks! tod