Witches Brew

Success!!!

I didn't have the ingredients for Beef Burgundy, but I did have what I needed for Irish Soda Bread. I finished seasoning the Dutch Oven yesterday and was anxious to give it a try with the modification I made. The Irish Soda Bread is simple as can be. It just came out of the oven and I can't wait to try it but it smells wonderful.

soda_bread.JPG

I think I'm going to rapidly find those ten pounds I lost recently. :)

John

O M G!!!

I couldn't wait for dinner and hacked off a piece and threw a little butter on it while still warm. It's do die for! As I said, it's about the simplest bread you can make and about the best tasting. It's a firm yet soft bread with a nice crust. Give it a try. The recipe is on that site you posted in the OP Darren.

I saw an episode of Good Eats the other night. It was on Dutch Oven cooking. Had had a recipe for Sourdough bread in the D.O. It looked easy and very good. Well it was easy for the first part, I'll let you know in a bit on the second part. It's gotta cool a bit before I can slice it. The whole house smells AWESOME!

Sourdough.JPG

I can almost smell it from here John. There is nothing like the aroma of fresh bread baking :):):):)

My wife used to make the bread and give friends and neighbors small hunks of the raw dough. Not quite sure the chemistry behind it but she always made her bread with the starter dough. No additional yeast. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

All I've got to say is AWESOME!!!

It's got a nice crunchy/crispy crust and the inside is nice and light and airy. The flavor is wonderful. The texture on the inside is almost like a giant English muffin.

This is a Sourdough, but you don't really use a starter like most Sourdough breads. The dough is just bread flour, a little salt, a little yeast, and water. You mix it up and then cover the bowl and let it sit on the counter for nineteen hours. After that, it's all bubbly and sticky. Just turn it out onto a lightly floured counter and punch it down. Then let it sit for another 15 minutes and then form it into a ball. You let it rise for 2-3 hours and then pop it in a preheated Dutch Oven. It is time consuming but the results are SOOOOO worth the effort!

John