Fire wood storage rack ideas ?

Paul Alford

Former Member (by the member's request)
Anyone have some pics of some firewood racks (with covers) that you can share?

I am looking to build something for out back to hold the fire wood up off the ground, covered from the rain, etc.. but more than just throwing a tarp over it. Thats too easy.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Shoot !! Caught me Don. Uhhh, just hoping to get some inspiration from the pros here. I am not doing so much woodworking these days so I havent had the need to get on here... but feel special since this is the first place I thought of when I did need to go to the pros !! :)

Paul

I suppose it depends on your location and persuasion. I live out in the sticks so any hill billy rig will suffice. :D I got tired of digging wood blocks out of snow banks so I built a 12x32 lean-too on the back of the pole barn this fall........I'm loving it. Otherwise you can get wood pallets just about anywhere and use those for a base. I am a cheap skate when it comes to materials so I have used 3x4 landscape timbers for upright posts. Stick a couple of feet in the ground and tie them together so they don't fall over. If you want it to look good or somewhat constructed I have seen galvanized 3/4 conduit bent in a hoop and a tarp pulled tight over those to make a roof.

That's a relatively cheap way to keep water off the woodpile.

A shed with three walls, a slanted roof and a floor is the best, but it really depends on how much wood you need to burn each year.

Is this just for the occasional fire place or is this to heat the house or workshop year round?

If you just need a place to store a bit of wood for the occasional use, then something simple and cheap is what you need.

I think it needs to be big enough to store at least 2 years on wood. Get it this year and burn it next year. Most important is keep it off the ground. Store it on the ground and you're inviting termites. I've had good luck in the past with cement blocks and re-bar. Must have a roof to keep the rain off. Sides to keep out what the wind blows in, but they don't have to go all the way to the ground. I live in the woods and my fire wood is under a roof attached to a building out back. I was fine last year. When I went to bring more wood up to the house yesterday, I found it covered in snow from Sundays storm. (Some kind of siding is now on next summer's todo list.) Appearance is whatever you feel comfortable with for your property.

Well Norm, I wonder where the lad lives. (not so subtle hint for Paul A.):D We have few termite problems in the North. They are around but I've only seen their damage in a few places and my dad was an entomologist so I saw a lot of bugs. Paul did mention keeping the rain off the wood so I suspect he might be of the Southern persuasion. I do have bunks of lumber piled up drying. I typically use cinder blocks for a base with 4x4 or other beams for cross pieces. All leveled up and 2' on centers. Something similar could be done for firewood. Does treated lumber resist termites?

haha, sorry gentlemen, I should have said that... Yep, Paul was right... I am in SC and all I have to deal with is the rain. I was just hoping I would see a bunch of pics of some unique, creative racks with hoods, covers, etc.. built as part of the design so I could have a neat new project... and wouldnt have to go get a standard metal rack off the shelf with a tarp. We do have mostly mild winters here, but I do try to get a fire going several months through the winter.

Right now I just have treated 4x4s on the ground and side posts... I need to build something a bit more professional and dry. I would just use my garage like I saw one pic on here, but my double garage is taken up with the boat on one side (and that stays there for sure) and my table saw, sliding miter, workbench, tools on the other side (and that stays there for sure)...so the garage is out.

Thanks for all the input !!

Paul (other one)

I saw one once that was a nice looking 3 sided shed basically with sliding doors on the front. Was probably 8 feet deep and 12 foot wide.

Here's a page I found with several options http://www.firewood-storage.net/

It looked like a little slant roofed shed, painted red to look like a nice little outbuilding.

Sort of like this but with doors

outdoor-firewood-storage-2.jpg

As for me, I've just used the metal brackets and 12' 2x4 put up on blocks. We don't really get enough rain or snow to worry about covering them up out here.