Lesson Day

Dan Mosley

Today I had a friend I met awhile back who is a pro turner (does production and custom)...and makes living of it come over for a private lesson (1/2 day actually). He makes large and small vessels,bowls and platters etc.

Ok well the half day went to fast but it was well worth the time spent. A large part of the time spent was on the gouge, and mounting techniques. Showing me how the gouge can be used for every facet of the woodturning process if you know the techniques. Then the stance and turners dance with body control. At first I thought "how boring" but I was suprised to notice that it was the opposite. Interesting day..................

He had not seen or tried out the Elio drive and I had one on hand so we used it and he was impressed with how well it worked over the 2 and 4 prong spurs. However, like I told him I still use my 2 prong alot more but its out of habit.

We spent some time discussing hollow forms - forms themselves, talked about finishing. These were areas that we had very differing opinions on but very open minded and I had a chance to show him a couple things myslef. For instance:::: he is dedicated to laquer finishes exclusively (and I am not - suprised?....LOL), On large hollow forms he uses a chuck and I use both powergrip jaws or a faceplate - on the large heavy stuff I use the faceplate period with alot for steel screws. He does blind hollowing and is exceptionally good and I am no were near that skill level with hand held hollowing tools and perfer my 2 rigs that I have. Spent some time showing me how to sharpen free hand etc.......fun day

He noticed that I use a 12" straight tool rest and said he had a gift for me - see the attached -they are contrator stakes that have been welded up into tool rests. I have not had a chance to use them yet but it is greatly appreciated.........................

Attachments

• Rest-1.jpg
    Rest-1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Rest-2.jpg
    Rest-2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Rest-3.jpg
    Rest-3.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Rest-4.jpg
    Rest-4.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Rest-5.jpg
    Rest-5.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Rest-6.jpg
    Rest-6.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 64
  • Rest-7.jpg
    Rest-7.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 65
A day doesn't get much better than that...unless of course, your wife comes out and says "Honey...you need more tools":rofl::rofl::thumb: