Gloat - Dewalt 12V Max

Dan Gonzales

I came across a Dewalt promo on the 30th of January with one day to spare. Buy one of the new Dewalt 12V Max cordless tool kits and get a free battery at AcmeTools.com. Years ago they were Tool Crib of the North then they sold that online business to Amazon, now they're back online. I really like the way they did business before hopefully they keep their standards as high as I've always experienced with them.

I called them up to price match Amazon for $172 for the impact and screw driver kit, got the free battery and added the LED work light. All with free shipping and no tax, sweet!

12V Max 1.JPG

They also have a drill/driver version with a two speed transmission but I preferred the screwdriver kit due to compactness and the LED ring (you'll see).

The system runs on a 12 volt lithium ion battery pack. That's 12 volts no load at full charge and 10.6 volts with load, that's the new math all the manufacturers are using now.

I have used the Bosch 12 volt system but two things really bugged me about it. First the battery through the grip design was too thick for my hand. I have a broad hand/palm but not so long fingers. Second it wouldn't stand up like the bigger cordless drills. Milwaukee, Makita and Porter Cable also have the same general construction. Hitachi builds their compact system with the battery on the bottom.

So here's what came out of the boxes. There is also a bright yellow Dewalt toolbag to carry all this in.

12V Max 2.JPG 12V Max 3.JPG

The impact driver.

12V Max 4.JPG

The screwdriver.

12V Max 5.JPG

See the LEDs set in the collar behind the bit holder. Cool beans! They stole that idea from Bosch and it provides shadowless illumination at the business end of whatever bit you're using. The other manufacturers use a "chin" light, just doesn't come close to Bosch's and Dewalt's solution.

Here's the screwdriver with my compact 18 volt drill/driver and with only the battery. The 12V Max screwdriver with the battery weighs as much as the 18 volt battery alone!

12V Max 6.JPG 12V Max 7.JPG

I've used it for some small jobs. Biggest thing I've driven in were a handful of 4" deck screws into redwood. Works fine. What makes them ideal for me are first the ergonomics: they fit my hand well and have a nice balance. Second the features: lighting, stand up tool rest, one handed chuck loading and unloading (really slick). Last, the robustness of the product.

I did have to buy new drill bits: these are Ryobi metal/wood (forgive me, I had a gift card) and Harbor Freight masonry bits that I will use in drywall. They were able to fit in an old Dewalt drill set pouch.

12V Max 8.JPG

Cheers,

Last edited: