Raised Panel resized?

Sorry, but in this case, I would just build a new door, fixing a chair is just that, but this door is not fixable, it is not broke, it is the wrong size.

I like to think I'm getting smarter as I get older, and sometimes, you just need to build a new one, futzing with the old one will cost more and take longer in the end :dunno: DAMHIKT!:D

I agree with you Stu. Or at least be prepared to build a new one and give it a go trying to modify the old door. I have had luck ( key word) in cutting down doors in the past and making them work but if you have the means and the tools to make a new one I find it faster and the end job always looks nicer. Just my 2.1 cents worth. :D

No I could have that cut down and glued back up before you could mill out the parts to make new styles and rails.:thumb:

Yeah. As long as the panel ain't "painted in," the whole job oughtta take less than an hour. Breaking the paint seal to get the panel out for re-shaping would be the only hard part.

I'll be the heretic. ;)

Just cut a 13" chunk out of the middle-ish left side, and then dowel the two remaining pieces back together. (this is where a good jig like the dowelmax would be helpful) It just going to be painted, so sand it and put on some good paint.

Here's a similar example: Couple years ago I came across this web page of a guy (Jake von Slatt) who converted a school bus into a camper. He salvaged a lot of stuff from the dump, including some doors, which he cut into pieces and glued back together to make his passage doors in the bus. (link here, about 2/3 down the page. Again here, at the bottom of the page.) He doesn't really go into a lot of detail as to how he did it, but from the photo it seems clear to me that there was no fussing about with redoing the panel, he just glued it together. One more link - showing most of his finished work on the doors + cabinets.

Probably not the absolute best way to do it, but it seems simpler.

I would do the same, otherwise the time and effort that you'll put on it won't be paid. That's why these projects end up being made by non professional woodworkers, as the final price can't be not even 50% of a new door, and pros reject them because what they would charge for them is not what the customer is willing to pay.

Larry, as usall a day late for most things. I would just do like others cut it at final length make a new bottom rail and hope the panel is not glued and pinned. the panel should **** about a 1/4" into the grove. So from there you should be ablbe to figure out panel lentgh.

I would very carefully lift up the panel, hold it over your head, then smash it on the corner into a concrete floor to pop the rails and stiles. Salvage what you can for panels and just cut new rails + stiles.

Anything else you're going to waste a whole mess of time.

I vote for Karl's method. :rofl: :rofl: Any method that involves smashing stuff apart is my kind of method. :thumb: