New computer purchase started....

Jim O'Dell

A P3 600? Oh, man. Put off the wood for a little while, and get a new machine! :thumb::rofl::thumb:

Thanks,

Bill

(quote from another thread)

I quite literally decided to do just that. :thumb::thumb: :type:
So, I had enough money to get the 8 gigs of memory I wanted (Corsair) and the Western Digital 1T hard drive, like I'll ever use a third of that...I have less than 10 gig of a 13 gig drive in use now. :huh: Maybe I'll start loading music into the computer. Yeah, that's what I'll do. :rofl: Next time the spiff man comes by, I'll have enough for the CPU (Intel i3 550). If my birthday money had been anything other that a HD gift card, I'd almost be there for the mother board too. Then I need the operating system. Guess I'll go Windows 7. Not sure I'm fond of that idea though.
I'll keep my case, the upgraded 450 watt power supply and fans, the CD/DVD drive (read only) and the floppy (though I don't know why) from the old system. I have a USB external hard drive too. I'm guessing the built in video and audio of the new motherboard will be comparable or better to the old old SoundBlaster card and the video card. But I sure don't look forward to integrating the information I want to keep from this drive to the new one, nor getting the new system back on the LAN to be able to print. I bet the latter will take a month to accomplish!! Jim.

Last edited:
Ahhh, it won't be that bad. I had misgivings about going windows (Again) but windows 7 isn't all that bad. I actually kind of like it...

Congrats and have fun upgrading!

You're gonna love the upgrade. Like going from a 48 Buick to a 2011 Corvette. :) I'd suggest dumping the floppy and spending $20 on an internal flash memory reader. They make units that fit the old floppy drive bay, and you can plug about any kind of memory card into them. Makes transferring photos from your camera's memory to the computer a breeze, since the memory card shows up as another hard drive on the computer.

Adding a Windows 7 machine to the LAN should be a walk in the park. Transferring all your old data to the new machine shouldn't be too hard if you have a good copy of it on your external drive. Any programs you have installed, though, will need to be re-installed. I've got my copy of Windows 7, but haven't bit the bullet and installed it yet, since XP is still chugging along nicely for me and I don't feel like re-installing all my apps. (Then again, I'm running a dual core 3 GHz E8400 processor, so I'm not seeing the problems you are with a P3 600.)

windows 7 is no problem but stay away from IE 8 none of the exisitng stuff out there is yet complient with it. DAMHKT

Windows 7 (64 bit version) comes with two versions of IE8 -- a 64 bit and a 32 bit version. I agree with your statement about the 64 bit version of IE8, but the 32 bit version has been no problem at all. I routinely use the 32 bit version of IE8.

To find out which one you are using, go to the ? on the far right of the tool bar and click on About Internet Explorer If it says 64 bit that's what you are using, if it doesn't say, you are using the 32 bit version. It's been a while but if I recall Windows 7 uses the 32 version by default.

If you go to the start menu, All Programs, both versions of IE8 will show up.

Jim, building your own computer is the only way to go ----- I built mine about a year ago for the cost of a much lesser Dell that would not have been half as powerful or set up like I wanted.

I went Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.67 Ghz, ASUS P6X58D mother board with 6.0GB triple channel DDR3 memory running @ 535 Mhz. I also use a solid state hard drive (80GB) with Windows 7 Premium 64 bit. A second 40 GB SS hard drive holds all my data.

Bluntly stated -- It's a screamer!! Way faster than my aging brain is! :rofl::rofl:

You're gonna love the upgrade. Like going from a 48 Buick to a 2011 Corvette. :) I'd suggest dumping the floppy and spending $20 on an internal flash memory reader. They make units that fit the old floppy drive bay, and you can plug about any kind of memory card into them. Makes transferring photos from your camera's memory to the computer a breeze, since the memory card shows up as another hard drive on the computer.

hey vaughn yu got alink to what yur talking about? and would that alos have some usb posts in it? the old puter in the house needs a major over haul and was thinking of doing what yu guys are talking about here,, and from what tony says yu can make one much cheaper than buying a new one?? can one use a old box ??

Sounds like you will have an excellent unit there.
At least until new developments will demand even more processing power.
Like, next week. ;):rofl:
I am using Win 7, essentially problem free as an operating system should be. Whatever version of IE I'm using is just fine also.

I'm in the process of getting one built by a friend in exchange for some bowls and some other handyman help. He's the city's CIO and he will be using the same hardware the city uses to build their own systems. (don't worry, he will be buying the parts not "taking the home") He is going to load Ubuntu on it. They are in the process of moving all there machines to this...it's free too! He said he could see the microsoft rep's heart sink when he told him, "We won't be needing you anymore." :D:eek:

windows 7 is no problem but stay away from IE 8 none of the exisitng stuff out there is yet complient with it. DAMHKT

I don't use IE at all unless I'm doing class work for GM, and it is the only thing that works for that.
Good to hear that Win 7 is doing all right by most of you. I've read some horror stories.
Vaughn, I've already spied the memory chip readers that face mount and will be adding one. I currently use a portable one plugged in to a USB wire in the back that stays plugged in for this use only. Still a pain. LOML has the printer by her computer and it has 7 reader options on the face of it that she uses.
Still need to decide if I need/want the 64 bit or 32 bit OS, and then if the Home version is ok, or the Pro version is better. The fact that the Pro version offers ability to run XP programs might be worth the extra 40 bucks. Any thoughts on that? Thanks! Hopefully this won't take as long as my shop rehab.:rofl::rofl::rofl: Jim.

Sounds like you will have an excellent unit there.
At least until new developments will demand even more processing power.
Like, next week. ;):rofl:
I am using Win 7, essentially problem free as an operating system should be. Whatever version of IE I'm using is just fine also.

Edit: wife is using Win 7, I still have Vista. We both use IE8. If there is anything wrong with it we haven't noticed.

Still need to decide if I need/want the 64 bit or 32 bit OS, and then if the Home version is ok, or the Pro version is better. The fact that the Pro version offers ability to run XP programs might be worth the extra 40 bucks. Any thoughts on that? Thanks! Hopefully this won't take as long as my shop rehab.:rofl::rofl::rofl: Jim.

I'd definately go with the 64 bit version. Also, If you can swing it go w/ the Pro if you have and want to keep older programs. I've used Autosketch (V7) for years, It will not even install under W7, no less run. Tried all sorts of 'fixes', nothing helped. If I had pro, I would be able to use it under the 98 emulator.

Thanks for the info Tony. Shame they don't put something like that on all of the 7 offerings. It seems like a slam dunk option when changing the OS this drastically. Especially if they want you to upgrade. Heck, I'm still running Win 2K on mine! Jim.

He is going to load Ubuntu on it. They are in the process of moving all there machines to this...it's free too! He said he could see the microsoft rep's heart sink when he told him, "We won't be needing you anymore." :D:eek:

Best thing I ever did was kick Micro$oft to the curb for everyday use.. I started clear back at Dapper Drake when I thought I needed a new computer. Still haven't bought/built one.

My theory has always been, If you have to run windows for proprietary software, you either run a dual boot system, or Run your favorite flavor of Linux and run Windows on a Virtual Machine with VMware.

And this is why

robert@robert-mof-dt:~$ uptime
23:08:26 up 432 days, 6:25, 2 users, load average: 1.55, 1.31, 1.34
robert@robert-mof-dt:~$

Yeah, the new MB has plenty of USB ports. I will have the card reader eventually.
Guess I can't get the old ivory components anymore...Might have to whip out a can of the black plastic spray paint for the old case when I get to that point. Really don't want to spend for a new case. Plus, with the OS and all the little things I'll need, I'm pushing $650.00 on a rebuild!! More than I originally planned for. Going to take me a few months to get there. Hope the spiffs at work pick back up!!! Jim.

Jim,

Do you already have the new motherboard? Its form-factor may predetermine decisions about the old case. You may also wish to check the power supply on the old one.

Really, you can get a brand new case for 30 to 40 bucks. Getting a new one may save you numerous headaches. Personally, I wouldn't try to build a new machine on an old case.

On the 32 vs. 64 question: do you have a good reason to go to 64? Do you want to address more memory, etc? I've heard stories of people trying to run old programs on 64, and having frustrations. It's never happened to me, but at least a few of those stories are from credible sources. Please don't take my work for it, do your homework before deciding! ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, I don't have the MB yet, but the current MB and Mid Tower case are the ATX form factor, and I made sure the MB I'm looking at is ATX form factor, not the MATX, or the other small one. The power supply was updated to a 450 watt Antec modular unit about 2 years ago, so I think it will be fine. I really like the case and how it is put together. Slide the top back and lift to take off, then each side lifts up independently for access. In fact, I got the same model in a full tower for LOML's computer.
Yeah, not real sure on the 32/64 bit stuff. But if worse comes to worse, I can reinstall my Win 2k as a dual boot system to run the older stuff if need be. That's the thought behind going to the Pro version that has the ability to run older programs by how ever it is set up to do that. Don't know if it does it automatically, or if you have to "enter" a certain mode to then open the older programs.
Thanks for all the ideas guys! This won't be a screamer by the current definitions, but it will put the old computer to shame, and probably be faster that the LOML's first generation dual core that cost half again as much to build 3 1/2 years ago. Jim.

edit: Oh and Vaughn, I didn't address your thought about dumping the floppy...My case has 2 3.5" slots, so I can keep the floppy and add the card reader without a problem. Jim.

Last edited: