Applying Epoxy and Dowels

Carlton Chin

I am putting together a cabinet stand that would go over the toilet in the bathroom. There are two sets of legs that will attach to the base via wooden dowel and cam bolt.

The dowel(s) are the correct size but the holes (in the leg and frame) are slightly large. I am planning on filling it with epoxy to get rid of the wiggle room.

The holes were the dowels will be inserted, should I just use epoxy on the leg only? or should I add it to the base as well?

I was thinking that epoxy on the leg side should suffice also. I just wasn't sure if there was a good reason to apply it to the hole in the base. I just saw that as being potentially messy. And just in case I needed to disassemble the unit, I would not be able to if both ends are "epoxied."

I also figure since it is going into the bathroom, epoxy would make more sense than wood glue, no?

Are dowels only really meant for part guidance and cam bolt more for strength and support?

I believe dowels are meant for joining with strength.
Pics would help.
I'm surprised there are not more responses. Generally, when one asks for help here there is a very good response.
Is everyone asleep this weekend?

Carlton,

Sounds like you have been shopping at Ikea. :)

If directions talk about gluing the dowels in then use the epoxy. Most of the time they are only there for alignment and the cams actually provide the strength.

I would use toothpicks and epoxy....fill the area with epoxy coated toothpicks...one dry...cut off excess with saw......works for me everytime

Actually, I purchased the furniture from Target. IKEA stuff I never had a problem with their dowel related stuff.

Toothpicks? Does it need to be inserted/cut to the depth of the hole or the dowel? If I were to center the dowel in the hole I would only be able to insert about 1/4" of a toothpick at every 90 degrees. That's more or less the wiggle room I have.

Actually, I purchased the furniture from Target. IKEA stuff I never had a problem with their dowel related stuff.

Toothpicks? Does it need to be inserted/cut to the depth of the hole or the dowel? If I were to center the dowel in the hole I would only be able to insert about 1/4" of a toothpick at every 90 degrees. That's more or less the wiggle room I have.

I just keep jamming them in. With the part in the center of the hole. The let dry and go beck and cut flush. Her is Ron hazleton explaining it better. I know he is filling an entire hole...but you should be able to jam a few around the part in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijC0dbpqLFo

Thanks for the youtube video. Very informative.

I still need clarification though on where I should trim the toothpicks. So I insert and hold the dowel in the center of the hole. The hole is about half the length of the dowel. I insert epoxy coated toothpicks into the areas around the dowel.

1. Do I trim the toothpicks flush with the top of the dowel or flush with the top of the surface area of the furniture leg where the dowel is sticking out?

2. Obviously the dowel in the furniture leg will be stuck with the toothpicks due to the epoxy. But what about the hole in the cabinet base where the other end of the dowel is going into when I attach the leg? There is wiggle room there too. How do I fill the hole in the cabinet base without having another dowel (or place holder) getting stuck there and blocking the dowel from the leg?

Last edited: