think i'll join Dan.:)

I've been working on this for a benefit for my SIL. Well i was almost done when i thought i'd clean up a small ridge on the inside. Yea right, you know what happens when ya do that.:eek: So it looks like it's back to the drawing board.
Dan i think i need to join ya if ya have anything left.:rofl::rofl:
Steve

Attachments

• 001 [800x600].JPG
    001 [800x600].JPG
    83 KB · Views: 57
  • 002 [800x600].JPG
    002 [800x600].JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 62
Yeah its thats last " just one more cut to clean up" that will get you. I have had that happen more than once and I guess I needed to learn the lesson over and over to get what not to do. I know better than to go back to the thin areas after getting into a vessel deep but I still have done it and sometimes with very light cutting I have gotton away with it and others times it has cracked. I knew better but still tried to do it......now I just reach in with 60-80 if the opening is big enough and sand my way.
If you have a scrapping cutter on, freshly sharpened, and a very very light touch to the exact area - you could get away with it (maybe) but, if any of those things are not right the risk increases way up........I think by now I have learned.......I think........LMAO...................
Frustrating to think of how long you spend to get it to the point you do and have things go wrong....but I spend time when I cool down to analyze what happened and to think thru how I can prevent it again in the future....

steve yu can salvaged the vessel.. glue on a base pice and return it to the shape yu need and it will stil work..and i am not even a turner but can see this still making the grade:D:thumb:

steve yu can salvaged the vessel.. glue on a base pice and return it to the shape yu need and it will stil work..and i am not even a turner but can see this still making the grade:D:thumb:

Thought about that, but i've already started a new one. this time it will be made from some chocolate.:D
Dan i knew better when i did it just thought i could get away with it this time. yea right.:rolleyes:

I hate that last cut. Get's ya everytime. Is there enough wood there to put in a donut chuck and square the end off and glue a contrasting piece of wood on the bottom as Larry suggested. I have did that in a pinch and a lot of times those are the ones that sell first. Just a thought.

Steve,
That's a very nice funnel you done there, allthough I think I would taper the top a little more and flare the bottom slightly to make pouring through easier... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I agree with Larry, you can clean up the bottom and then turn a bottom with a slight cone shape that would wedge into the bottom opening and then fix the bottom as a base or something... a nice contrasting wood would look great with the vase...

That's too bad. I'm such a glutton for punishment that I have a tendency to put finish on those piece before they hit the fire just to see how pretty it might have been if I hadn't screwed it up.

I agree with Chuck. Very attractive funnel, but the design doesn't make it very usable. :p Seriously, it's a shame you lost this one, because the form sure looked nice to me.

And I don't blame you for tossing it and heading into the next one. Personally, I've never been happy with any of the bottom patches I've tried or seen done (contrasting or not). To me, they still look like patches. Matching wood or not, it still looks like a Band-Aid at a beauty pageant.

When mine hit it cracked at the rim down about 4-5inches and put a gouge into the side of it. I usually just throw them out - get mad - eventually get over it and start another project. However, on this one I decided that i really liked the pattern and thought I would try to play around with it and see if I could salvage it. I used a burr on a grinding tool and opened the crack up and filled it with black epoxy - sanded deep into the gouge mark and beveled it out and blended it back into the side walls. Then started sanding the entire vessel...........so far its repaired fine but I still do not like the filled in crack because that is what it looks like "a filled in crack"...
I put it to the side and thought when I have time i would use finer burrs and play around to try to make it look better...........
It is a shame to lose a project you worked along time on but it happens and I have a designer wood pile to prove it...........