home built miter/clamping station

Ned Bulken

I'm doing my darndest to get ready to start up my shop once the weather improves. Here is something I have had on hand, but never got a photo of. It is a Miter saw stand and clamping station. Pardon the wierd angle, but it is in my storage unit, and I'm not moving those boards just for a photo op. (thought of the pic 'cause I was retrieving my CMS yesterday.)
CMSstand2.jpg

It is constructed of 3/4" CDX ply, two 1/4 sheets, one for the support panel and the other for the top and risers of the clamping station. The top is level with my CMS which is mounted to a piece of plywood I had handy. The slots are so that you can put an F-body clamp in and clamp down a workpiece or extension fences for the CMS.

slightly better angle
CMSstand.jpg

I took part of the design from the Ultimate Tool stand, which American Woodworker published several years ago, scaled it down to just fit the CMS and kept the clamping slots. It is just about 5' long, with simple 2x4 legs. I'm intending to use it for cutting the lumber when I build my minibarn workshop in the spring.

Frank Pellow and any former creekers might recall a sketch I posted over there, well, I never did get the wheels put on it, think I'll leave them off, as this is not all that heavy, and I hope to get the shop up and roofed in just a couple of weeks. "Finished' might take as long as marty's shop, but that's another story. :D

Attachments

• macler.jpg
    macler.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Nice job. :thumb:

That sure looks more like a lumber storage table to me though:huh: ;) :D

Hi Ned :wave:

THAT'S IT!

That is the idea that's been bouncing around in my head. (The clamping setup for the MS bench.) I just couldn't nail it down. Ever had an idea you just couldn't form into a complete picture? :huh:
Would you mind terribly if I adapted your idea to my bench when I get to that portion of my "Dummy Do" list? :rofl:

(I told ya I like pictures to steal ideas.... :rolleyes:)

DT

Fantastic idea. Any chance of getting a sketch or plans to make one for myself? I've also been wanting to make something for my CMS, but like Don, I've never got my head wrapped around it.

Matt, you've got a PM, but here's a bit more detail on the construction:

AW's ultimate tool stand is where I got the clamping slots idea. my version eliminates the tool storage and so on, but all I needed was the CMS and clamping parts. The vertical parts of the clamping sections are sized to match my CMS mounted on a 1/2" piece of plywood. which secures with bolts down into t-nuts sunk into bottom of the platform. THe basic platform is 2'/x4' plus a bit of overhang from the top surface.

The exact spacing etc... are IIRC about 3" between the verticals, which are set 1" back from the edge of the top pieces. That allows plenty of room to slide in an f-clamp and secure the workpiece. I'm going to go down to HF and pick up a half dozen or so of their 6" f-clamps, they're just about the ideal size for clamping things down on this. HTH,

Ned,

I look forward to your in-progress reports on this one.

In the meantime, I sure hope that all the white stuff starts to melt. It will be around 60°F here today, and hopefully it will find its way to you in upstate NY. We used to live in Fairport, just outside Rochester, eons ago, so I understand what those piles mean - long time indoors, and freezing weather for several months.

Al,
I sure will keep y'all updated. The truck is cleared off and the driveway clear, but the weather is indeed supposed to get warmer ( Sure hope so, weather guy this morning kept mentioning 'below zero' way too much for my tastes) this week.

Keep an eye on the 'carpentry and construction' forum, I estimate about a month before sawdust is going to be flying.

A months a long time to wait on pics Ned.:(

Can ya speed it up some?:huh: :type: ;) :D :D :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Steve,
that's about how long I expect the snow pack to be there... then there's the building permit I have to renew (had one, never did anything on it, so should just be forking over more dough).

Just details really. The other thing is this employment search... just got a lead on a job which might Move where I put the shop... by about 500 miles...

500 mile move. Man I won't envy you on that one if you have to move.

When we moved here, 1995, I told the wife this is the last move.
About 12-13 moves since marriage.
She can just bury me out back, as I refuse to move again.

When we moved here, 1995, I told the wife this is the last move.
About 12-13 moves since marriage.
She can just bury me out back, as I refuse to move again.

I was born 10 miles from where I live now....from the time I was 14 (1972) until the move back here in 1996 I have moved 8 times....I already got my burial space in the family plot 5 miles from here...this was my last move until they plant me.

sorry for hi-jackin the thread, Ned.

that rhymes:)

Getting out of the snow belt and into the beautiful shenandoah valley in VA. to be closer to my parents and grandfather. Lori (the LOML) is highly motivated to get south, so just a matter of timing. If we can't find decent jobs, we're staying... and I'm building.

wanna talk about a Move? I helped pack up and drive my cousins from Florence SC to SHeridan MT in January. THAT was a trek and a half.

Frank Pellow and any former creekers might recall a sketch I posted over there, well, I never did get the wheels put on it, think I'll leave them off, as this is not all that heavy, and I hope to get the shop up and roofed in just a couple of weeks. "Finished' might take as long as marty's shop, but that's another story. :D
I do recall Ned, and I also recall all the hassle that you put up with when we all told you to make it bigger. That is still my advice Ned -make the shop bigger. :D

If I ever buy a miter saw, I will keep you table top in mind.

I do recall Ned, and I also recall all the hassle that you put up with when we all told you to make it bigger. That is still my advice Ned -make the shop bigger. :D

If I ever buy a miter saw, I will keep you table top in mind.

well frank,
I'll sure build bigger if I can. Lori and I are looking to move, so I'm going to put 'room for a big shop' at the top of my priority list. I may still build that 12x16 for my folks, though, my dad wants a larger shed for his tractor and a workshop.

steve, hijack? just redirected, no problem! I'm a bit more mobile, I've lived most of my life in central NY, but I have family ties down in VA. I've worked all over the USA, used to travel full time for work and I know several interstates just about by heart as a result.