Been a while/Kitchen Prep Table

Alex Reid

Hi folks it's been a while since I last posted or even logged in for that matter. Been busy with other projects and such. It good to see all the familiar faces and names. Anyway I'm feeling like I want to get back into it and to start if off here is a picture of my last completed work done in the summer.

This is a free standing kitchen prep table done in curly maple and quarter sawn bubinga. The joinery is through dovetails, through mortise and tenon and dowels for the lower rack. The drawers open both sides so prep work can be done on either side. The insides of the drawers are unfinished with cutlery trays inserts in bubinga.

I know a few of you have already seen this on my Facebook page but for anyone wanting to see a full set of process pics drop me a friend request on Facebook. :wave:

kp1.jpg

kp2.jpg

kp3.jpg

kp4.jpg

kp5.jpg

well done alex,,, is it the pic or do you have a bevel on the drawer frnts end grain?
some amazing wood,, didnt realize that japan grew that kind of wood over there:)

sure looks to purty to have kitchen stuff on:D:thumb::thumb:

Alex it's delightful to have you back. Ican only totally agree with every thing that been said by everyone before me .

Man thats gotta be another calendar picture.
Thank thank you for posting it here and giving us the inspiration to push the craft. It will need me to be born all over again and start life out as a woodworker if I ever want to get to you level.
I can only drool and keep on trying.:D:thumb:

Wonderful design and your execution is flawless! A real inspiration and yet at the same time a little discouraging. Hard to measure up to something like this.

I've yet to see this beauty in person, but I know I'll be more blown away by it when I do than I am by the pics.

Guys, Alex does some very fine work, his attention to detail borders on a fetish, but who can argue with the results (the fetish comment is a compliment!!). The other thing that Alex excells at is collecting gob-smacking beautiful pieces of wood :D His collection is amazing, and yeah, you can paint me green envy over his stash of wood! ;):)

Good to see you back Alex :wave:

Thanks Stu. You are a total inspiration too.:thumb::wave:

I've yet to see this beauty in person, but I know I'll be more blown away by it when I do than I am by the pics.

Guys, Alex does some very fine work, his attention to detail borders on a fetish, but who can argue with the results (the fetish comment is a compliment!!). The other thing that Alex excells at is collecting gob-smacking beautiful pieces of wood :D His collection is amazing, and yeah, you can paint me green envy over his stash of wood! ;):)

Good to see you back Alex :wave:

Larry, this the last of a large 10ft piece I bought a few years back up in Shin-Kiba. One of the interesting things about Tokyo is there are many districts that specialize in one particular industry. The area for wood in Tokyo is a place called Shin-Kiba.

Last edited: