fid anyone?

Frank Fusco

I had planned to wait until I made several of these before posting the item. But with a shop so cold my toes are freezing and falling off, I'll do it now.
This hot pad was sent by my son and his family from Australia. It is really as much an Australian wood sampler as it is a tourist item. But, it is a neat idea. Pads of any size could be made with this technique. And, one could use scrap wood. The manila rope is cheap too. I think this would be a neat gift item and would sell at craft fairs or whatever.
However, I saw immediately that trying to push a frayed end of rope through the hole could be problematic. I knew there were tools for rope making and started Googling. Came up with fids, just the thing for this project. But most were a little expensive, in the $10.00 each range. Then I found this:
http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&m=g1&itemNumber=7194392

And under $2.00 for a set of three is real reasonable. However this is a wholesale source and a minimum of nine must be ordered at a time.
So, here is an idea. If you want a set, PM me. When I get at least eight requests I'll order then send to you. Shipping will be split evenly and mailing costs from me to you will be charged. I'll make nothing on the project, just cover my expenses.

Attachments

• hot pad.jpg
    hot pad.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 103
taping it would be the cheapest/easiest. I usually use electrical tape. Just remove it when you get it fished through. Leave it long on the ends then cut it once fished through. You could also use a to keep the ends from fraying.

Depending on the diameter of the line, and the hole, you can make a fid easy enough yourself. Google hollow fid, and just make your own out of whatever. I've used a Bic pen body to splice lines before, and that's a whole lot less complicated than what you're doing. I'd bet a piece of copper pipe would be in the range of what you need, and easy to work.

I have used fids to back braid boat ropes, many times, problem I see is that they require a larger hole than you want to hold the rope secure. I would rather go with Karl's tape suggestion. Just saying...

Hi --- Especially to Toni,

I don't think I have thought of weaving a rope end back into itself since WWII. We had a name for the process. However, I'll be darned if I can remember it.

We also wove back to make "Eyes" on the end of a line (rope to land lubbers).

Enjoy,

Jim

p.s. Still lovin' that plane Toni.

I had planned to wait until I made several of these before posting the item. But with a shop so cold my toes are freezing and falling off, I'll do it now.
This hot pad was sent by my son and his family from Australia. It is really as much an Australian wood sampler as it is a tourist item. But, it is a neat idea. Pads of any size could be made with this technique. And, one could use scrap wood. The manila rope is cheap too. I think this would be a neat gift item and would sell at craft fairs or whatever.
However, I saw immediately that trying to push a frayed end of rope through the hole could be problematic. I knew there were tools for rope making and started Googling. Came up with fids, just the thing for this project. But most were a little expensive, in the $10.00 each range. Then I found this:
http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/?t=5&m=g1&itemNumber=7194392

And under $2.00 for a set of three is real reasonable. However this is a wholesale source and a minimum of nine must be ordered at a time.
So, here is an idea. If you want a set, PM me. When I get at least eight requests I'll order then send to you. Shipping will be split evenly and mailing costs from me to you will be charged. I'll make nothing on the project, just cover my expenses.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Neat project.

To thread the rope through the holes you might consider making a two piece entering sleeve. The dowel pictured is just for Xplanation purposes. It would be slightly smaller than the holes, have a hole bored part way through the length leaving a thin wall thickness. Cut in half lengthwise and place the rope end between the halves and push it through. You may be able to find a piece of tubing the correct diameter that would work also.

And while you're at it you may as well make yourself a rope maker and make your own rope. That way it would be strictly a Frank Fusco product.:D

Attachments

• MVC-011F.JPG
    MVC-011F.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 25
  • MVC-012F.JPG
    MVC-012F.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Rope  7-8-08.jpg
    Rope 7-8-08.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 23
Hi --- Especially to Toni,

I don't think I have thought of weaving a rope end back into itself since WWII. We had a name for the process. However, I'll be darned if I can remember it.

We also wove back to make "Eyes" on the end of a line (rope to land lubbers).

Enjoy,

Jim

p.s. Still lovin' that plane Toni.

I'm sure you know what I meant, Jim, but like you I didn't know its name even in spanish. NOw I found it, that's what the web is good for;)
As per the plane, you need to get acquainted to it and its particularities, I had a hard time tuning it and she gave up when I convinced her that she was going to be in good hands;)

Attachments

• backsplice2ndstep.jpg
    backsplice2ndstep.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited: