copying art

allen levine

If I see a piece of art made from wood I find quite appealing, is it wrong(as in untasteful, dispicable, rude, or obnoxious) if I try to copy what I saw, just doing my own thing with it?
Im not taking credit for creating it or designing it, just like it and want to build one.

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but woodworkers have been copying woodworkers ever since wood was invented. I see nothing wrong with it as long as you're not trying tell people it's your idea.

Of course there are some people who can do nothing but copy the work of others, but you've proven that you're not too shy about picking up a pencil and designing your own stuff from scratch. You've earned the right to do a bit of copying, I think. ;)

I'll be interested to hear the opinions of others...but I don't think so. Most art as we know it is inspired at least in some degree by the work of previous artists..

And on this subject I'd like to recommend a terrific book that touches on the subject of what is art and what is not, what is real and what is fake, What's Bred in the Bone by Robertson Davies. It's the second one of a trilogy, but it can be read alone. A great book, engaging and thought-provoking.

Walk through any art museum and you will find aspiring artists painting (attempted) copies of the masters.
When I started writing fiction novels I read several by writers I like in an attempt to understand and emulate their style. One very successful author told me to read every third page to get the best idea of the style without getting caught up in the story.
Sculptors do it.
And woodworkers do it.
My theory is that one can never exactly copy another's creation. We try to emulate and learn from others.
Go for it.

I find it difficult to come up with something new. I find something that I like and try to reproduce it. I don't seem to have a good enough imagenation.:eek:

When I design my own work I draw on inspiration (a part here, a part there) from others, like in my fireplace thread. However, I have, on at least two occasions, made a rather direct copy of an others work. In each case it was not for profit, but for a gift. In both cases I contacted the original builder and asked permission to copy, in my own amateurish way, his work to be given as a gift. Both were most gracious and consented with the request I build only one and not to sell it.

Allen,

The key here is honest, ethical intent. For example, I once made a cutting board, based on a design by Vaughn. I talked to Vaughn about it in advance, and he was very generous in giving me advice and design ideas. When I gave the piece away as a gift, I told the recipient all about Vaughn.

In other words, I made sure to give acknowledgment and attribution. I didn't try to claim the idea as my own, or remain silent as to its origins. This is standard courtesy.

Say I made a rocking chair, and used one by Sam Maloof as a model, and sold it. If I told prospective buyers "This chair was inspired by one made by the great Sam Maloof," they'd nod and say it's beautiful. My conscience would be clear. But if I simply said "I made this chair," they be right to reprove me...

Thanks,

Bill