CNCing gun grips - has anyone done this?

Joseph Shaul

I've recently obtained access to a full-on Bridgeport style CNC mill, and was hoping to use it to complete a few projects.

My woodworking skills are very limited. I'd like to use some rather unusual materials like burls or stabilized spalted wood, but I so far haven't touched them due to the significant cost and ease of chipping or splitting.

However, these woods are frequently used in conjunction with CNC mills to make gun grips and knife scales. Seeing as how the tooling is rated for cutting steel and the machine has a much steadier hand than I do, I'm hoping it's just a case of the right feed rates. Does anyone have any tips on the subject?

I don't know about the particular mill you mention, but what you are suggesting is done. There are several machines available for a job like that.
Yes, stabled spalted woods could make some delicious grips. I stable wood. If you want to try I'll do one set for you for free. PM me if interested.

I Can't think that there is much difference between a CNC mill and a CNC router,(in regards to your question) except the cutter speed on the router is probably higher. I believe most of the router folks use carbide, spiral, up-cut bits. You will have to experiment with the speed for each wood/cutter type to see what works. Some woods burn easily.

I think I would find a block of crotch Hard Maple to experiment with. the wood grain would be similar to maple burl. I don't remember where you live but if you live in maple growing country I would talk to tree trimmers or firewood suppliers for a few pieces. Stabilized wood machines like plastic.

If you really want some spalted maple I could send you some. Or maybe ship it to frank for stabilizing. :D

Thanks for the tips in respect to spindle speed and feed rate. It looks like the big CNC mill might not be the best tool for the job, but as long as I've got access... :D