Setting up a Miter Box

Some of you probably think this thread is a joke, but, alas, no. I put together a miter box today that came in a million pieces, with no instructions, just a big picture. And when you've never held one before, it's not obvious how it all goes together.

miterbox.jpg

My question is when I was all done, there was one piece left over. The little metal piece next to the utility knife. Don't you hate that? :rofl: when you think something's put together right and there's a piece left over? Any idea what that piece is for? Otherwise the thing seems to work fine.

Can't help ya out on that one. My miter saw looks like this.:thumb:

Attachments

• tn_saw 004.JPG
    tn_saw 004.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 33
I just got one last Wednesday that looks just like that.:thumb:
Brings me up to 3 SCMS:thumb: Oh and one of the neander ones that's got to be a good 75 years older than the one you put together today:thumb:

It's the Feldenhamber clip. Sheesh, everyone knows that. :rolleyes: It attaches to the gurston flange right below the pomeroy joint. It helps keep the interstitial bearings from co-planing between the spindle rockers. :D

Seriously, I have no idea. The only parts diagram for a neander miter saw I could find didn't look like it had that part. Have a look and see if I missed it. (I think yours is a different brand.)

It's the Feldenhamber clip. Sheesh, everyone knows that. :rolleyes: It attaches to the gurston flange right below the pomeroy joint. It helps keep the interstitial bearings from co-planing between the spindle rockers. :D

Seriously, I have no idea. The only parts diagram for a neander miter saw I could find didn't look like it had that part. Have a look and see if I missed it. (I think yours is a different brand.)

You're so clever, Vaughn. That's my miter saw! That's the one! And that part is nowhere on that diagram! So I'm sure you're right. The Feldenhamber clip. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :rofl: :thumb: ;)