Battery Chargers

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I'm needing to pickup a battery charger to keep my tractor battery charged. In this colder weather it takes quite a bit to get the tractor started and I've had to jump it the past few times.

I can pickup a small trickle charger, but would rather have a larger charger. Do the newer larger chargers have a cut-off where I can leave a larger charger plugged in all the time as a trickle charger?

What else should I look for in one?

Be sure that the voltages match--don't leave a 12 volt charger hooked up to a 6 volt battery. Finding one that kicks down to a trickle shouldn't be a problem. I got a very good charger for cheap on the Sam's Club auction site.

Most of the better chargers sense the level of charge in the battery, and taper down to 'trickle' automatically.

I keep a "Battery Tender" trickle going on my tractor all winter, and have never had a failure to start. OEM battery (6 month warranty) actually lasted six years, because of that littl charger (at least I think that's what helped it last.)

I keep the battery tender on my small tractor all winter. Never failed to start when I wanted it to. I also had one on my old corvette. kept the battery charged all winter.

I don't have the vette but I still have the Battery tender. You can have it for the cost of shipping if you want.

I keep the battery tender on my small tractor all winter. Never failed to start when I wanted it to. I also had one on my old corvette. kept the battery charged all winter.

I don't have the vette but I still have the Battery tender. You can have it for the cost of shipping if you want.

I appreciate the offer Bob! I picked up a charger on the way home tonight that has the float/charge option. Thanks anyway! :wave: