It felt SOOOO good!

John Pollman

Well it's been a little over two months since I've been able to work. I decided that this morning that would change. I haven't actually gotten clearance from my doctor but unless he's willing to start paying my bills, I don't have a choice. Things are getting REAL tight and I've got to get back to work!

I've got pretty much full range of motion in my bad shoulder and the pain isn't really bad either. Actually I wouldn't even classify it as pain, it's more discomfort than anything. It's not even that bad either. I should be able to do 85% of the things I need to do in order to get this job finished. I've got offers of help to do the portion that I can't.

I started at about 9:00 this morning and got all of the demo done and it's just about ready for the next phase. It looks like this job shouldn't take too long after all. Once this one's done, I can start beating the streets looking for more but I need to get this one completed and off of my mind. The customer has been MORE than understanding and accommodating in letting me heal up before getting it started.

If felt GREAT to get back to some sort of normality in my life. Finishing this job and being able to move on and line up some more work will really help my overall state of mind. I only put in about 6-1/2 hours today but I got to a good breaking point and their 6 month old twins really needed a nap. I decided to knock off early and let them get some sleep. I figure it's better to start slow and not overdo it anyway.

It's nice to be back in the world of the working. :)

John

Thanks folks!

I'm going to take it easy and work back into it slowly. This job is a fairly simple 12x20 family room remodel. Today I removed the paneling from the walls. Very light and easy work. Tomorrow I've got to install four recessed cans and that's also very easy. Once that's done, I just have to install a couple ceiling speakers for the rear channel of his surround sound system. When all that is done, I have to run the wires in the front wall for the front and center channels. Then it will be ready for drywall. I've got a buddy that said he'd hang the board for me. Actually, if he holds it in place I can run the screw gun. When the board is up, I can tape and sand it. I'm left handed and it's the right shoulder that I broke.

I really need to get back to work and start making some money. Things are getting very tight and that's not fun. It's screwing me up in other ways by causing me to lose sleep and be stressed out all the time. If I can start working toward something normal again, it will help me physically AND mentally.

John

:threadjacked:

John, What kind of ceiling speakers are you installing? I'm getting ready to install an entertainment center and now would be the time for me to do something like that, rather than later...

To tell you the truth, at this point I really don't know. I'm going over there tomorrow to install the lighting. A little while ago I was just thinking about the speaker wiring. I know he's got all of the equipment because it came in right about the time I got hurt. I'll take a look and let you know.

I've got to find out anyway because I think he said something about some type of box that they may need to be installed in. I may have to fabricate something to put up there above the drywall. That makes sense. It seems like it would be acoustically better that way.

I'll let you know.

John

To tell you the truth, at this point I really don't know. I'm going over there tomorrow to install the lighting. A little while ago I was just thinking about the speaker wiring. I know he's got all of the equipment because it came in right about the time I got hurt. I'll take a look and let you know.

I've got to find out anyway because I think he said something about some type of box that they may need to be installed in. I may have to fabricate something to put up there above the drywall. That makes sense. It seems like it would be acoustically better that way.

I'll let you know.

John

Very cool. I've been on and off the fence about doing that, primarily because I hate going up in the attic, but I've got somethings that need to be done up there anyway, so I reckon I should do the speakers at the same time....

Please make sure to do a post about it when you get around to that part of the project :thumb:

Will do Brent.

The good part about this job is that between installing the lighting and speakers, I won't even have to go up into the attic. Because I'm already doing drywall work, I'm just going to cut a couple access holes so I can get up from the under side and use a fish tape to pull the wires. When all is finished I'll just reinstall the cutout and mud the joints. I'm not sure, but I think that the speakers just mount to the drywall itself. I haven't looked at the installation instructions for these particular speakers but I did look at instructions for a number of other ceiling speakers and they just attach right to the drywall. It turns out that apparently you don't need a box. Several other sites showed that you just place a bat of unfaced insulation over the back of the speaker. I'll be able to do that from the access panel once the speakers are installed. Then patch the access and I'm done. I'll try to take some pictures of the process as I do it. I'll post them for you to see how it went.

John