Your dust collector

While I agree with you about a properly-powered cyclone being better, not all of the single stage DCs are the dust distributors you make them out to be. A 0.5 micron filter is a 0.5 micron filter, regardless of the machine it's hooked up to. A good cyclone does have more airflow and will indeed capture more dust at the tool, but a good single stage will blow out no more dust than a comparably-filtered cyclone.

In my shop, even the best DC system wouldn't be able to catch all the dust. When I use the air hose to blow the sanding dust off something on the lathe, there's no way to get all of it in a DC scoop. This is especially true when blowing out a hollow form as it gets hollowed. It shoots dust and shavings in a 15' circle. That's why, even with the DC running, I wear lung protection.

Had I waited until I could afford a cyclone, I would have breathed a lot more dust than I have to date. I consider it $300 well spent, and in my current economic situation, a better DC is still way off in the future. ;)

Not disagreeing with you Vaughn :thumb:

And your modified DC is head and shoulders above most out there.

Most DCs even the ones with the fancy filters on them get a cake on the filters very quickly that cause the airflow to drop drastically, which makes them MUCH less effective at capturing the dust at the tool, the super fine dust that unless it is caught at the tool will float around in one's shop for a very long time. The dust that piles up on the floor etc, that one can sweep up, well unless one sticks their face into the pile inhales, it is rather harmless, the dust that causes all the problems is the super fine stuff. If the air flow, or CFM drops too low, most of that super fine dust is NOT caught.

Vaughn you make a very good point about not catching it all, that is absolutely correct, that is why I have an ambient air cleaner and run my exhaust fan while down in the Dungeon.

Most of you above workshop dwellers can just open a garage door or such to exchange your air.

I do not want to start an argument, but continue a discussion :D

Guys, first of all I must thank everyone who have shared there opinions and experiences.

I value your opinon a lot. All the opinons were somewhat different and everyone seems to be fairly happy with the system that they have. That makes it even more difficult though. I get more confused and even scared when I read Bill Pentz's web site.

I haven't ruled out anything. I may end up getting a HF unit like Vaughn's or buy Oneida unit like Rob's. I may even try and build a unit like Alan.

I think Dan and Stu had pointed out that I can leave the garage door open while working. That is true and I will probably do that most of the time, yet I want the flexibility to close the door when I so desire. I have nice neighbors and I want to live in peace with them. Sound control is very important to me along with fine-dust control.

I want to be happy with my system from the very beginning. I don't want to upgrade in two years. If that means spending a few hundred extra then I am willing to do that, while I can.

I have the Harbor Freight unit as well... no problems with the unit at all, other than the switch fried... I thought it was the motor since I didn't see the switch as a problem... called HF and complained... they sent a new 2 hp motor... the new motor didn't have a switch on it, so I opted to take the old switch off and "switch" to the new motor... when I opened the switch to take it off, I saw the charred wires and such... so for $13 I bought a new switch, put it on the old motor and it's worked like a champ since.

I lost a small cloth into the intake at the lathe and it jammed up the impeller... that was my fault... I took the impeller cover off and cleared it... then turned the motor on to check that the impeller was clear, dropped the cover and I think it hit a vane.. seems like the DC is a little louder than before, so may have bent a vane and thrown it out of balance... can't see a bend though... just seems louder like it's not balanced.... still will suck things out of my hand at the lathe if I'm not careful.... good unit.

I do need to put a separator in the line to catch the heavy stuff... I keep getting wood ribbons jammed up on the safety screen in front of the impeller...

While I agree with you about a properly-powered cyclone being better, not all of the single stage DCs are the dust distributors you make them out to be. A 0.5 micron filter is a 0.5 micron filter, regardless of the machine it's hooked up to. A good cyclone does have more airflow and will indeed capture more dust at the tool, but a good single stage will blow out no more dust than a comparably-filtered cyclone.
(snip)
Stu made one point about the reduced air flow leaving more of the dangerous fine dust not-collected. But my research has indicated that the 0.5 micron filters are damaged at the microscopic level when the pressure builds up (there is a dust cake on the filter) and the dust is forced into the media. Eventually the 0.5 micron filters open up and are no longer a 0.5 micron filter.

In my shop, even the best DC system wouldn't be able to catch all the dust. When I use the air hose to blow the sanding dust off something on the lathe, there's no way to get all of it in a DC scoop. This is especially true when blowing out a hollow form as it gets hollowed. It shoots dust and shavings in a 15' circle. That's why, even with the DC running, I wear lung protection.

Had I waited until I could afford a cyclone, I would have breathed a lot more dust than I have to date. I consider it $300 well spent, and in my current economic situation, a better DC is still way off in the future. ;)

I don't disagree that anything is better than nothing, and commend you for using separate lung protection (mask?). But I also consider the air gun the most dangerous tool in the shop - I have almost completely stopped using it. A saw can cut off a finger, but the inhaled fine dust, stirred up by an air gun, can kill you.

I have a complete web page on dust collection... including how not to do it (don't do what I did). After going through all the cheaper options, I am getting ready to buy a cyclone. Why? My cough used to be correlated to the pollen and mold allergens count, but lately it is correlated to the amount of sawing and sanding in the shop. see www.solowoodworker.com/tools/dust.html

My wife is getting on my case about solving the dust collection problem ... er eliminating my cough. First step is to always turn it on (no more, "I won't bother... it is just a little cut."). The worst dust collector is more effective than a shop air filter, so I let it run far more than seems necessary. But a cyclone (Bill Pentz Clearvue or 5 hp Oneida) is in my near future.

I have the Harbor Freight unit as well... no problems with the unit at all, other than the switch fried... I thought it was the motor since I didn't see the switch as a problem... called HF and complained... they sent a new 2 hp motor... the new motor didn't have a switch on it, so I opted to take the old switch off and "switch" to the new motor... when I opened the switch to take it off, I saw the charred wires and such... so for $13 I bought a new switch, put it on the old motor and it's worked like a champ since.

I lost a small cloth into the intake at the lathe and it jammed up the impeller... that was my fault... I took the impeller cover off and cleared it... then turned the motor on to check that the impeller was clear, dropped the cover and I think it hit a vane.. seems like the DC is a little louder than before, so may have bent a vane and thrown it out of balance... can't see a bend though... just seems louder like it's not balanced.... still will suck things out of my hand at the lathe if I'm not careful.... good unit.

I do need to put a separator in the line to catch the heavy stuff... I keep getting wood ribbons jammed up on the safety screen in front of the impeller...

The first week I had it the screen got jammed up with chips 5 or 6 times. I cut the screen out. No more problems:thumb::thumb:

Cynthia, I have heard strong arguments that a dust collector next to the machine is less expensive and more efficient (cheaper unit, minimal duct loss). The small Oneida cyclones look like an interesting option, even though they cost almost as much as a good cyclone. The usual argument is based on multiple cheap Harbor Freight single stage units.

I have been in two separate shops that switched from a smaller unit near the machine to a larger central unit, and both shops ended up cleaner and quieter.

I am also becoming a believer that a good cyclone is better than a shop air filter - the cyclone typically has 0.5 micron filter which does not get plugged or damaged. Therefore letting the cyclone run run more than the minimum necessary will do general shop air cleaning - the volume of most cyclones equals the air of a typical shop every couple minutes.

Mohammad,

I have a Jet DC-1200BK. It is a 2hp dust collector that can be wheeled around the shop if you want. I have it hooked up to a 2- Stage Dust Collection Hood on top of a rain barrel with the top cut off. (the rain barrel is big enough and strong enough to not collapse from the suction.)

I only have to clean the filter and empty maybe a gallon of dust out of the plastic bag every 3-6 months with constant use. The 2 stage separator also saves the impeller from nails and blocks of wood when I use it to clean the shop floor. It is not as perfect as a true cyclone but for the price I couldn't beat it. As for all the dust and wood chips, I just dump them in my compost pile. No problems to date, but LOTS of great night crawlers for fishing!

My only wish (and my next upgrade) will be possibly a hepa filter for it. I have a 5micron bag for it and I still ware a mask in the shop when I use the dust collection system. Also, at 5 microns it still puts a very fine layer of dust all over the shop over time even with the shop air filter going. The 2 stage separator makes a HUGE difference on buying plastic bags and cleaning out the Jet cloth filters all the time. Just don't use a plastic garbage can, I tried several and they all collapse! Use a metal can or a rain barrel.

The only thing is that when I hook it up to my table saw (a Bosch contractor saw with a 2" dust port) there is not enough suction with air volume to do a real good job. I find that my 6hp Rigid shop Vac or my Festool vac hooked up to an Oneida dust deputy($50) works better. But for the jointer and other tools where I do not need to drop down to 2" or smaller you just can't beat it!

Attachments

• DC.jpg
    DC.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 9
Thanks Brian. I am still evaluating my options.

I am leaning towards a cyclone unit and also thinking of building a shed behind the garage. I will have to find out if I am going to need a permt for that.

Jet Air Scrubber AFS-1000B, 1000 CFM Air Filtration System is still in the box and will go in my shop in 2 weeks. With my new lung issue...I want to be around for grand kids

Thanks Brian. I am still evaluating my options.

I am leaning towards a cyclone unit and also thinking of building a shed behind the garage. I will have to find out if I am going to need a permt for that.

The separate room, inside or outside (shed) the shop is great for sound control, but be sure to plan on the makeup air. If the cyclone pulls 1000+ cubic feet of air out of your shop every minute, 1000+ cubic feet of air has to come in from somewhere. That make-up air has to be heated/cooled and filtered. After you clean the air in the cyclone, you can bring that same warm/cool air back into the shop, so all the outside shed does is give you space and quiet.