Jatoba Cabinets in the works...Teaser...

Brian Altop

Here are some pictures of the very beginning of some Jatoba cabinets that i'm making for a customer. I've played with this wood in the past and it can be challenging but boy is it pretty. All is flush face framed with all plywood boxes. I'll keep you all posted with pictures.

As you can see on the plywood, why is it when there is a flat surface in the shop it mysteriously accumulates stuff?:dunno:

I swear every time I turned around there was something else that climbed up on top!:huh::huh:

In the one pic, that is a 1 foot ruler. total of just over 100bf material. Most in 4/4 rough with the planks on top in 5/4 rough that I will re-saw into about 5/8" material.

I'll keep you all posted with pictures as I get further into it. Also doing a counter top with ipe for the counter edge and for the back-splash. Man the dust from this stuff is awful:( . I always use my toxic dust respirator when working with wood, especially this exotic stuff (even with the festool vac) can't be too careful. I don't want to be 60+ and have problems I could have avoided by taking precautions now.:D

Brian

Attachments

• Cab1.jpg
    Cab1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 90
  • Cab2.jpg
    Cab2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Cab3.jpg
    Cab3.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
bob, you forgot the small side table that i built for a friend of mine? (posted 03-29-2010)
the table was made from jatoba (aka brazilian cherry). watch out with that wood brian, it's heavy. damhik

bob, you forgot the small side table that i built for a friend of mine? (posted 03-29-2010)
the table was made from jatoba (aka brazilian cherry). watch out with that wood brian, it's heavy. damhik

Yep, it's heavy alright! The two 5/4 pieces were 21' long. I had to cut them in half to fit them on the rack of my truck to get them from Seattle to Tacoma. Then off loading all of it off the truck!:bonkers:

After moving it once I'm considering changing the whole plan from Jatoba to balsa instead!:D:D:rofl:

Brian,

You mentioned in a previous comment that you obtained your wood in Seattle. Do you mind relaying exactly where? I've had good luck at Architectural Woods but would love to learn of another source.

Thanks.

Brian,

You mentioned in a previous comment that you obtained your wood in Seattle. Do you mind relaying exactly where? I've had good luck at Architectural Woods but would love to learn of another source.

Thanks.

Ok, I'll trade! A good fishing spot close by for the address!!:D:D

There used to be Edan Saw, but they are out of business for hardwood stocking. They (as you probably already know) took over AWI's old building but only do veneer out of it. They can order you whatever you want, but then no picking through stuff to get what you want.:(

The store is Crosscut Hardwoods, 4100 1st Avenue S, 98134. (Kinda around the corner from Woodcraft, kinda sorta.):)

The majority of their wood is S2S. You get to walk around and look at all they have and chose yourself. They have a wide assortment of plywoods too but AWI will be cheaper for the most part. I paid 42cents more a boardfoot for the jatoba at Crosscut verses AWI. Also, Crosscut has a mill down in Portland so if you want something special they will mill it for you and ship up. Seem very helpful and honest.

There used to be a place in Auburn (don't know if it was the old Edan Saw) but haven't been able to find them in quite some time, also was a small shop on center st in tacoma, but their selection was small and prices high.

Brian

Don't forget Compton Lumber just North of Crosscut (one street up) and across the street (West side of 1st). I like the selection better at Crosscut, but you may find some better pricing at Compton's. Edensaw closed their facility in Auburn, but they still have a great store in Port Townsend. Really large facility there and some great hardwood to choose from!

Don't forget Compton Lumber just North of Crosscut (one street up) and across the street (West side of 1st). I like the selection better at Crosscut, but you may find some better pricing at Compton's. Edensaw closed their facility in Auburn, but they still have a great store in Port Townsend. Really large facility there and some great hardwood to choose from!

Didn't know about the one in Port Townsend, I'll have to hit that up on the way back from Neah Bay sometime. Do they have anything up in Bellingham? (your right there next to Grizzly Tools too, lucky guy you! Always did like looking through their store!):D

Brian, we have Windsor Plywood which carries a surprising amount of hardwood which is all over priced, so I usually end up going to Crosscut. It is worth the drive for the price difference and of course the greater selection.

There is another store called Targo Wood that I need to check out, but I think it is a small operation with a hit and miss supply of hardwoods. By that, I mean someday they may have this and the next day that. I also think he caters to turners and such, but I will find out.

Do check out the Edensaw at Port Townsend. It is just out of town. I was most impressed when I saw an hardwood trunk maybe 20 feet long and 3 to 4 foot in diameter that had been flat sliced and re-stacked as the tree it was. The whole thing was for sale. Can't remember what species it was, but it gave me an entirely new definition of lust. I wanted that log!

When my dad was still alive, he and I would go up to Edensaw (Pt. Townsend) and make a day of it. Lunch was usually at the Chimacum Cafe. :thumb: Good times.

It's been a long time since I've been to Crosscut. I guess I'll have to check it out again.

Brian (or Bill for that matter) have either of you been to Sumner Woodworkers store? They have a decent selection of hardwood but kinda of expensive since they get their stock mostly from AWI and simply upcharge it from there. They do have an impressive selection of tools however. Better than Rockler and Woodcraft IMHO.

IfI am ever that far south I will check out the Sumner store. Been to the Chimacum Café for a quick dinner. To be honest, I really don't remember much about it. What I do remember is eating breakfast at the Spruce Goose Café at the Jefferson County Airport. Waited a while and finally got a seat and a decent breakfast. Suddenly, a buzz went around the place. Apparently they make pies for the week the day we were there and they were coming out of the oven. Even though we just finished breakfast, we had to have a slice of pie. One of the best pies I have ever have eaten. I have been back to Port Townsend several times since then, but have not made it back to the Spruce Goose. Need to change that!

Here are the face frames. 3 more are not in the pic. This is the second coat of waterlox.

Stay tuned, more to come shortly!

(ignore the mess in the shop, I told my dog to put everything away and sweep up the mess, but she just turned and walked out of the shop on me! What a disrespectful dog I have.)

PS, I have better pics coming!!!

Attachments

• Cab 1.jpg
    Cab 1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 37
  • cab 2.jpg
    cab 2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 38