Happy Hour In Africa

Dan Mooney

This is a video from a French documentary about Africa . You may not understand French, but the video is funny.

Watch the elephants knock the fruit out of the tree so that they, and their animal neighbors, may eat it off the ground.

Marula trees grow in a certain area of Africa and, once a year, produce very juicy fruit that contains a high percentage of alcohol.

The tree is known locally as the "Elephant Tree" because the giant animals have a great fondness for the fruit.

Because there is a shortage of water in that area, animals come there as soon as the fruit is ripe, to relieve themselves of their thirst. You will easily know who had over-indulged...on purpose, or not!

Available commercially, is a great liqueur named, "Amarula," which is made from the fruit of these strange trees.

Click Here

Happy hour for sure ! :rofl::rofl:

I spent some time on the Amazon in my 40's. I was in this one village and wanted to take a walk through the jungle , dum white boy :rofl: One of the villages said hold on I'll go with you. I wanted to get some Fruit so I pick up some kind of fruit and throw it up to knock something down. My guide said l hold on and went behind a tree and returned with a very long pole and knocked the fruit out. again dum white boy :rofl: He only had to show me once though:rofl:

Well Dan i know of that fruit first hand.:rofl: We used to make a home brew from it.

Oh and i think that footage might be copied.

There is a South African made film by Jamie Uys that is call Beautiful People that first gave publicity to this behavior.

Take a look at this You Tube trailer there is a whole series in this channel and its in English explaining the happenings. Narrated by a very famous SA radio presenter Paddy O'Byrne. Well fanous to me at least.:rofl:

Here is the movie. There is more to it that the booze episode.

http://www.amazon.com/Animals-Are-Beautiful-People-Jamie/dp/B00008MTY4

Enjoy.:D