dewalt 735 question

allen levine

a new 735 costs around 649.00
IF the one I have estimates 250-300 to repair, should I abandon it(2 years old) and go for a larger floor model like a grizzly 15-20 inch?(I have one 220 line now)

a long time ago, I dropped it and it fell on one of the four posts that the carriage rides up and down. After 3 inches, its difficult to turn to go higher.
I checked the cut the first time I dropped it, it was even, so I figured the internal threads or however it rides up and down, must have been a bit damaged, but I struggled through when I needed to plane thick wood.

to make it short, I had no business before trying to lift the planer and move it, and dropped it again. Now I cant get it over 3 inches, and last time I spoke to dewalt it sounded like it was going to be costly.
(Im foolish, I was bored today with all the weather, and decided to go move around some wood on the wood rack, and went to move the planer out of the way, wanting to use the planer table to hold some short pieces)

Allen, sounds like you need to consider what are planning and what your needs are. Has the 735 always suited your needs? Did you ever have a board wider than the 735 could handle? If the answers are no, yes, then I would seriously consider a wider machine. If the answers are yes, no, then you have a difficult decision to make.

The 735 might have some residual value IF you can find someone locally who wants to fix it. I wouldn't count on any more than $50 as is, probably less.

Good Luck, whatever you decide.

thanx for the swell offer chuck.

Once I got it past 3 inches tonight, it seems to roll up and down about where it was last time.

The machine is probably used more than any other machine I own, and its performed perfectly, even with the first drop.

Im going to have to see if it keeps moving, I dont want to invest in a new machine right now.

Last edited:
...The 735 might have some residual value IF you can find someone locally who wants to fix it. I wouldn't count on any more than $50 as is, probably less...

I think it might sell for more than that. I know I'd pay more than $50 if I was in the market for another planer. To date, I've not had the need to plane anything as thick as 3".

I do agree with Tony's questions...have you had a need for anything bigger than the Dewalt? If you're not planing wide boards, you might be happier keeping the Dewalt. From what I've read, the 735 gets a better finished surface than most of the 15" to 20" planers out there.

If you're price shopping, I think amazon has the 735 for $590 atm, and before christmas they had it on sale for $500. That's delivered price.

Also the Dewalt 734 is on sale atm for $330

http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW734-...ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1296132348&sr=8-1

I had planned on upgrading to a 15" planer, but I am halfway thinking of getting this first. My ryobi definitely isn't cutting it. I think glenn has a 734, might be some others on here too.

allen repair it ,,but i would look at myself and see if i couldnt fix it where it sticks sounds like a bad tooth maybe bent shaft but more than likely a bad tooth.. wouldnt go the extra for a 15" i had none and went with a 15" but if i had gone to the 735 i wouldnt up grade in your shoes..and i was looking at planning alot more bft than yu at the time.. the quality and usefulness of one of those dewalts warrants repair..

I am in the same situation with mine Allen. Mine the bed feed cover blostered and I took it off and replaced it with plastic laminate. It worked for awhile and then it caught an edge. It is going to be 2-3 hundreed to replace with the original and I am just considering mending it and then getting a proper floor model that has an actaul steel bed.