Some Recent Acquisitions......

Stuart Ablett

Since I'm essentially getting paid now to build some cabinets in the L shop, so I decided I needed a few new tools :rolleyes: ;)

SN3D3348.jpg

SN3D3347.jpg

In fact the accountant was by the other day and he said to me, in front of the Monster-In-Law "Why have you not bought any tools recently...?" (well, he said that in Japanese..... of course....) he loves the write offs from the tools and stuff, as he has NO PROBLEM using them so we pay less taxes.
I'm very confident that I'll use all of this stuff on the coming up cabinets..... VERY confident ;) :D

Looking good Stu.:thumb: Ya know I was thinking the same about your tool collection just the other day. Ok angle is wrong in the photo and my eye sight is not that good. what is in the long brown box and the bag?

Sorry, a description was left out, I was in a hurry.

Lee Valley Flat Spokeshave A2 blade
Lee Valley Small Router Plane
Two Lee Valley 1/4" Drawbore Pins
Lee Valley Shelf Hole Drilling Jig
Lee Valley extra long rods for the shelf hole drilling jig
Lee Valley 8mm HHS brad point bit (for use with the shelf hole drilling jig)
1lb bag of Orange Shellac Flakes
Incra 1000SE Miter Gauge

I've wanted a Spoke shave for a while, in fact I think it was Rob K who commented that he was surprised that I did not have one. Each time I went to order one, my LV order was already substantial and it kind of broke the bank, but this time around I was not really worried about that :D

The shelf hole drilling jig just simply looks useful, a bunch of the items I will build will have adjustable shelves, so it was time!

The drawbore thing interests me, so I jumped on the chance to give it a go!

Finally the Incra 1000SE miter gauge is something I've wanted for a while, they get wonderful reviews, and I finally pulled the trigger, now we will see if it costs me money on a blade and cartridge if I trip the SawStop by cutting into this thing :doh: I hope not, but ya never know :rolleyes:

Cheers!

PS there is a big box coming from Rockler too, more hardware and such in that box than tools, but some tools!

BTW, I placed the order with Lee Valley at about 11PM Tokyo time on the 24th of January, it came about 11AM Tokyo Time today, January 27th, so that is about 56 hours from order to arrival :eek:

Rockler on the other hand I ordered on the 19th of January and I just got a shipping confirmation today, saying it was shipped on the 26th, no reason for the WEEK LONG delay, all the items I ordered, when I ordered them were "In Stock" but if something was NOT in stock, you would think a polite e-mail asking if I want to change my order etc would be in order, but nothing for a WEEK from Rockler...... :huh: :dunno:

Hard to compete with LV, they do seriously ROCK in customer service :headbang:

Finally the Incra 1000SE miter gauge is something I've wanted for a while, they get wonderful reviews, and I finally pulled the trigger, now we will see if it costs me money on a blade and cartridge if I trip the SawStop by cutting into this thing :doh: I hope not, but ya never know :rolleyes:

I've got that miter gauage and it works great. Just be careful when setting the angle on it to double check that it won't hit the blade... Not that I've done that before :rolleyes: Once was enough to teach me a lesson!

The Incra 1000 rocks on about the same level as Lee Valley customer service. :thumb: I'll be highly surprised if you don't like it. ;)

Guys I futzed around with the 1000SE miter gauge for a while last night, I finally broke down and read the instructions :doh: a light went off and I finally got it zeroed in, and yeah, it rocks, totally cool :thumb: I have a good SCMS but for making stuff like picture frames it takes a lot of test cuts to get the corner perfect, this did it first time out, well, when I finally read the instructions on how to zero the flip stops:eek:

Me thinks I will lub it :D

Guys I futzed around with the 1000SE miter gauge for a while last night, I finally broke down and read the instructions :doh: a light went off and I finally got it zeroed in, and yeah, it rocks, totally cool :thumb: I have a good SCMS but for making stuff like picture frames it takes a lot of test cuts to get the corner perfect, this did it first time out, well, when I finally read the instructions on how to zero the flip stops:eek:

Me thinks I will lub it :D

Yea Instructions are good. (or so I am told :rofl:) You don't stop and ask directions either huh? typical male :rofl::rofl::rofl:

One of the things I really enjoy about using the Incra stuff (miter gauge and fence) is that after you've made a few cuts and confirmed it's dead on every time, you begin to totally trust the tool and make the cuts without checking afterward, because you know they're right. :thumb:

Oh, and if you haven't already, I highly recommend adding a sacrificial fence to the miter gauge. That way you can have the cut fully supported and still keep the aluminum fence a couple millimeters away from the blade.

One of the things I really enjoy about using the Incra stuff (miter gauge and fence) is that after you've made a few cuts and confirmed it's dead on every time, you begin to totally trust the tool and make the cuts without checking afterward, because you know they're right. :thumb:

Oh, and if you haven't already, I highly recommend adding a sacrificial fence to the miter gauge. That way you can have the cut fully supported and still keep the aluminum fence a couple millimeters away from the blade.

I have the LS positioner for the router table, so I know about how accurate it is and repeatable, one of the things that sold me on this, but with the "Sacrificial Fence", if you do add one, doesn't that negate the flip stops?

The one huge "Error" in it all for me was I forgot it was in inches, I run mostly metric :doh:
I'm going to get a new lead screw for my LS Positioner to convert it to metric, so I'll ask them if they have the bits to convert the 1000SE to metric too, if not, I'll just have to make my picture frames in inches :rolleyes: :rofl:

Stu, the aluminum fence on the Incra 1000 has two t-tracks on the top for the flip stop nuts to slide in. Right now yours are in the rear track. If you add a 3/4" thick sacrificial fence, you just need to move the flip stop nuts to the other track, the front one. Page 7 of this manual talks about the "zero clearance sub fence"...

http://www.incra.com/manuals/miter1000se_new.pdf

I'm using a piece of BB ply instead of MDF, but any good, flat 3/4"-ish stock should work with the flip stops, as long as it's no more than 2 1/2" tall. Try it...I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

Some nice tools there Stu. I have the same miter gauge and love it. As the others have said add a sacrificial fence and cut it to 0 clearance with your favorite blade. Beauty. I saw you mentioned you are doing shelves. Just in case you find you "missed" some tools on the order than I recommend you also add some these to the list.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=40186&cat=3,43648,43649&ap=1

They add a little bit of stability to the holes you drill in to support the shelves as well as a nice touch.

Actually Alex I'll be using the press in threaded type....

threaded_shelf_supports.jpg

.... this is what they used on the cabinets they built for the L shop renovation. I got some at Super Viva home for not a bad price about 18 yen each. Drill an 8mm hole and pound them in, then screw in the shelf support pin.

Cheers!