saved from the fire

Nice score although I'm gonna consider docking you a few points for making everyone wait to see it.:rofl:

Hackberry is the best spalting wood that I've seen, so I hope you do set aside a few chunks for the leaf pile.

Frank,
If you can get that spalt..it's a great beauty.... this is a bowl I had from a piece that I threw out back in my wood pile and this is what I got when I turned it... this piece is full of worm holes though... love working hackberry.

I have some spalted hackberry pen blanks too if any one wants a few..

Attachments

• 10-1201_0a.JPG
    10-1201_0a.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 10-1201_1a.JPG
    10-1201_1a.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 10-1201_2a.JPG
    10-1201_2a.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 32
Frank,
If you can get that spalt..it's a great beauty.... this is a bowl I had from a piece that I threw out back in my wood pile and this is what I got when I turned it... this piece is full of worm holes though... love working hackberry.

Those look nice. I still have some, mostly branches. Come git some.

Frank,

Hello! The line-up starts behind me. PM with my address sent.

Frank, other than your lead in, I appreciate this post a lot because I have always burned hackberry because I thought it plain white wood and figured it would be boring.

Before your faint, or after you revive, I will qualify the burn part. All the hackberry I have felled have been fairly small diameter, with one exception. That tree length log has been sitting over at a neighbors farm for a year. Maybe I should check it for spalt?

I have to credit the Ambassador for cluing me in to the finer points of hackberry. Mr. Ambassador played the "guess this wood" with me because of his perception that I was familiar with most lumber. He has these beautiful drawer faces on his shop storage units. I was flummoxed. I did not recognize the really nice olive colored heart wood of hackberry and so Mr. Ambassador schooled me that day.

Because of this exposure I decided to saw the next sizable hackberry into lumber. In truth, the heart wood of hackberry is quite small in the diameter of the tree in these parts. Most of the wood is very white. I do know where there are some large Hackberry - maybe 2' diameter and a few larger. I have thought about inquiring and either volunteering to remove these non-commercial weed trees from their property to give the more commercial trees near by room to grow , or offering to buy them . I do have potential customers for some wide boards.

Thanks again for this post, Frank. Maybe I should send Larry a Hackberry bowl or other turning?

Last edited: