Which skew chisel

Try a shearing cut to finish a surface and remove tear out. It's really good to removing ridges and finishing a curve. Once you get those little whispy, thin-as-a-hair shavings, your in the zone:thumb:

Although the skew comes in handy at times for certain cuts I tend not to use it much anymore. The Ci1's I have (one used for roughing and one for finishing) can easily accomplish the same cuts for me. I still use the skew just intermittently and not to often.
I have upgraded my turning tools slowly to use Thompson and Monster handles but still have my other cheaper ones and they still come in handy.

I can't seem to get it very smooth with either a bowl or spindle gouge. Maybe not sharp enough?

For doing a smooth cylinder like a drum shell, the skew's probably the best choice...at least in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing with one. I just haven't put in the practice time with a skew that I should have.

I saw a vid clip of Bill Grumbine using a skew on a huge log...his wife was running the camera...maybe youtube? Not a lot of chat, but very informational from the technique aspect. I think on something that big around, I'd be tempted to bowl gouge it with a shear cut, a big sweep grind and sharper than Einstein.

The Benjamin's Best tools I've owned were pretty good. Not the best, by any means, but plenty serviceable. If that set includes other tools you need, it's probably a good deal. If not, there are probably better choices. Also, the skew in that set is an "oval" skew. ("Oval" refers to how the flat surfaces are rounded over.) Some folks prefer oval skews, and others prefer the flat skews.

Then there are "round" skews like these:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXRSET.html

(That looks like a pretty decent set for $30.) The "round" refers to the curved shape of the cutting edge. That curved edge is recommended by a number of the skew masters like Alan Lacer and others. Which shape is best is really more of a personal preference thing, so what's best for you might be different than what's best for others. Also keep in mind that any straight skew can be ground with a round cutting edge and vice versa. I have both shapes, and I'm still undecided which I like the best.

Hopefully some of the "skewers" around here will chime in with additional information for you. ;)

The 6 piece set is on its way now. I needed everything, my were junk. I figured this would be decent and if I need a better skew than that then I could get one down the road.

Yeah, that set will definitely be better than the average junk set. I couldn't remember if you were set up with the other tools or not. Now you will be. :thumb:

For what it's worth, I happened across this Laguna video with Alan Batty last night:Right around 7:30 he says,
"If you work in bigger diameters, and you've got a problem with your skew, use the roughing out gouge with a back wing [whatever that is], and it'll leave the surface like glass ... you won't need to even use a skew."​

I assume that he's talking about spindle work - not face work. Which way are drums turned?

I personally love the skew, and recommend continuing to master it. It's a tool often deemed "archaic" since so many tools can get the job done, but it sure does leave a nice surface!

Here's a few of my thoughts:

1.) As others have said, a long extension over the tool rest opens up a world of control problems.

2.) You don't need a HUGE skew if you can get the toolrest close: 1"-1.25" wide should be fine.

And I agree with the others: practice. I totally sucked with the skew when I first tried certain techniques. Now I really enjoy being able to use the skew without being too nervous about a catch, but I still get them sometimes when rolling beads. Some day I hope to have that dialed in.

*Probably no longer matters since you made a purchase*
The WoodRiver skews have an oval cross-section. I personally don't like them that much, but moreover they seem to be a little harder to control for beginners. But it may be that I am just not used to them.

Hutch

Last edited:
I have been dissapointed with Benjamins Best. I bought one to replace, and in hopes of improving on an antique 'cast steel' Buck brand and an El Cheapo import. I keep putting down the BB and picking up the antique. I haven't tried the cryo/kryo but Vaughn has turned a thing or three with them and they aren't being used for tomato stakes yet.

For what it's worth, I happened across this Laguna video with Alan Batty last night:Right around 7:30 he says,
"If you work in bigger diameters, and you've got a problem with your skew, use the roughing out gouge with a back wing [whatever that is], and it'll leave the surface like glass ... you won't need to even use a skew."​

I assume that he's talking about spindle work - not face work. Which way are drums turned?

the drums are on their side, so it would be the same as spindle turning.

I have been dissapointed with Benjamins Best. I bought one to replace, and in hopes of improving on an antique 'cast steel' Buck brand and an El Cheapo import. I keep putting down the BB and picking up the antique. I haven't tried the cryo/kryo but Vaughn has turned a thing or three with them and they aren't being used for tomato stakes yet.

They get good reviews, a lot of the reviews said that they are better than some tools costing 2-3 times more, we'll see I guess.