Permission to Enter - Stanley No 5 Question

glenn bradley

At least I think it is a No 5(?). Sure looks like this chipbreaker screw protrudes through the cap iron too much (I just learned all these terms so pardon me if I mess it up).

This prevents the lever cap from functioning correctly. Should the screw be flush with the chip breaker when installed?

Attachments

• Stanley No5 001.jpg
    Stanley No5 001.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Stanley No5 003.jpg
    Stanley No5 003.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Stanley No5 004.jpg
    Stanley No5 004.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 59
  • Stanley No5 006.jpg
    Stanley No5 006.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 59
It does not look like you have it installed, as you need to pull the lever down on the lever cap. Loosen the screw enough on the lever cap to allow you to do that. Then the two contact points will be under the lever and at the far end of the lever cap. It should rise the lever cap above the screw then. Does that make sense?

This is what my bench planes look like.

Bench Plane.jpg

Here is a better diagram. What I am talking about is the lever cap locking cam needs to be in the down position which should raise the lever cap up above the screw.

Bench Plane 2.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I should have lowered the lever. I did not mean to confuse. The lever will lower but, the protruding screw does not allow the lever cap to sit low enough for the lever to make the spring apply any pressure to the chip breaker/cap iron.

It sticks through on all of mine. (just went out and checked) Looks like it sticks up a bit higher on yours than it does on mine. Mine stick through I would guess a strong 1/32" :thumb: In the pic it looks like yours is closer to an 1/8":dunno:

Here are a few pictures of one my planes to give you an idea of what my configuration looks like. It is a Lie Nielsen, not a Stanley, but is probably close enough to give you an idea of what it should look like. My chipbreakers no longer look like the traditional stanleys as I upgraded them to the new improved version that Lie Nielsen has out. You will notice that the cap lever locking cam has quite an angle to it that significantly lifts the cap lever. My chipbreaker screw is like Chucks and protrudes only about 1/32 to 1/16 of an inch through to the other side.

Glenn0004.jpg

Glenn0001.jpg

Glenn0008.jpg

Glenn0007.jpg

Glenn0009.jpg

Thanks Bill. That's just what I needed. :thumb: I can now see that your screw protrudes as well. The other thing I can see is that your cam on the lever provides a LOT more range of motion than mine.

Mine does not appear to have been ground down at all but, the difference between the spring's position with the lever up and the lever down is only about 1/16". This is inadequate to provide tension with the screw protruding as it does. I'll do some careful looking around to see some other examples of what is normal in the hopes that I can figure out which part is amiss.

You gotta love this forum.

Glenn,
Some of the aftermarket chipbreakers - like the Clifton, Hoch, Pinnacle, or Lie Neilson could make use of your too-long (or at least overly long) screw. Maybe there's somebody out there that'd trade for their shorter one.

Glenn, I got a cheap anant palne long before joining this forum and I had to grind down the blade screw ( the one that fixes the blade to the chipbreaker) by a couple of mm. as I had the same problem, however looking at your pics it seems that the tip of the yoke is also preventing the proper functioning of the cap lever.

I may be wrong but that's what looks to me from here.:dunno:

it seems that the tip of the yoke is also preventing the proper functioning of the cap lever.

The tip of the yoke is overly adequate for the task even at the extreme positions of it's use. It is also "in the way". I begin to wonder if the plane is just an assembly of various parts. It has a Stanley SW iron but the body has no raised characters in the casting to specify maker or model.

but the body has no raised characters in the casting to specify maker or model.

That tells me it's not a Stanley body. If the body is not Stanley than there is a good chance that the iron that belongs in ti is thicker.

Attachments

• tn_plane 010.JPG
    tn_plane 010.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 13
  • tn_plane 009.JPG
    tn_plane 009.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 31
  • tn_plane 008.JPG
    tn_plane 008.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 13
  • tn_plane 007.JPG
    tn_plane 007.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 15
  • tn_plane 006.JPG
    tn_plane 006.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 15
  • tn_plane 005.JPG
    tn_plane 005.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 15
  • tn_plane 004.JPG
    tn_plane 004.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 16
  • tn_plane 003.JPG
    tn_plane 003.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 15
  • tn_plane 002.JPG
    tn_plane 002.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 16
  • tn_plane 001.JPG
    tn_plane 001.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 15
More of the same

Attachments

• tn_plane 011.JPG
    tn_plane 011.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 8
  • tn_plane 012.JPG
    tn_plane 012.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 8
  • tn_plane 013.JPG
    tn_plane 013.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 9
Them plans are for working Bill not looking at or washing and waxing them. :thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
And he did see them the whole lot of them. He's just getting along in years and don't remember so well no more.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Them plans are for working Bill not looking at or washing and waxing them. :thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
And he did see them the whole lot of them. He's just getting along in years and don't remember so well no more.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

wells i kin see well enough to know i need to come back to NH purty soon:) to put yu back in line:) ifun i had a big sheet i could save gas and just blow over to you tonight