wood working of a different kind

Drew Watson

The wife and I went out for a hike yesterday to a spot up the west coast of Vancouver island called Mystic beach. Found this little walk way made out of a tree that had fallen down on the path in a wind storm it must have been one big tree. Lifted the roots right out of the ground and some of the parks guys using chain saws made it into a walk way and stairs. Found a nice spot for a shower too.

Attachments

• mystic beach 018 - Copy.JPG
    mystic beach 018 - Copy.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 45
  • mystic beach 067 - Copy.JPG
    mystic beach 067 - Copy.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 44
  • mystic beach 015 - Copy.JPG
    mystic beach 015 - Copy.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 46
You head up through Sooke and just past Jordan River to China beach provincial park. The trail to Mystic beach is from the upper parking lot and a 2 km hike to the beach. There is a suspension bridge and lots of mud along the way. It is part of the Jaun de fuca trail. It is beautiful all along the west coast. From where you are at you would head down to Cowichan lake and go through it to Mesachi lake and turn off to Port Renfrew there and then head south there are lots of fantastic beaches all along the route. Botanical beach is in Port renfrew and just down from that towards Jordan river is Sombrio beach. Good surfing in Jordan river.

Here are a couple more pics of the trail and suspension bridge and that top of that tree. Notice the tree doesn't thin out near the top it is almost a consistant width the entire way. You can only imagine how bit this sucker was when it fell and how big a storm it was to bring it down.

that looks real inviting,, yu sure they didnt bring in some trees to make that walk way? that alot of tree to be from the same one drew..but very nice area. must be yu folks dont have snow up there in winter huh...

I know Larry I had to have a look at it too but it is just one tree. lots more Old growth stuff that size in the area still standing. No possible way to truck it in as there is no access to the area outside of the small hiking trail.

Snow? Not around here. We get it for one day when it does come but then it is gone in a day or two. Mt washington up the east coast of the island has the most snow for a ski hill in the world this winter. I think they set some new records with a 540 cm base. 2.5 cm per inch. I think that works out to 18 ft of snow at the base. More up the hill.