Mobile tablesaw base

Alan Bienlein

Well this past sunday evening I finally had enough and I got around to designing and cutting out a mobile base for my ts3650. I've been wanting to do this for some time and when I had some recent car repairs to do and had to move the saw I realized I needed to get this done.

I built it so that the cast iron top sits right on the top of the router cabinet with the saw cabinet sitting flat on the lower cabinet. This is now the flatest the top of the saw has ever been To keep it from sagging in the front I used a piece of 3" x 4" steel tubing I had laying around that I was saving for this.
2-1-11 001 (800 x 600).jpg2-1-11 005 (800 x 600).jpg
I reused the connection for the dust collection from the old setup to make it easier to attach the 90.
2-1-11 002 (800 x 600).jpg2-1-11 003 (800 x 600).jpg
And this is how I enclosed under the saw for dust collection. Just remove 9 screws and it comes out to access the underside of the saw.
2-1-11 004 (800 x 600).jpg
I still need to figure out how I want to do the dust collection for the router under in the cabinet and exactly how I want to store my saw and router related items.

Very nice!

I don't remember what your old setup looked like, but that looks like it should work out very well. I really like the idea of combining the router table and table saw into one unit like that... :thumb: :thumb:

Guess I should have taken some before shots.:doh: Just your standard contractor saw legs with the herculift and the router in the right extention wing with no provision for dust collection.

...I don't remember what your old setup looked like...

Probably kinda sorta like this...

attachment.php

The cabinet idea looks like a good one, Alan. I know at the heart of it you've got a good saw. :thumb: I also like the cover plate you made for the back where the belt enters the saw cabinet. I bodged together something out of magnetic sign material for mine when I enclosed the bottom for dust collection, but yours looks a lot more "DC-tight". Now all you need to add is the Incra setup and you'd be golden. :p

Attachments

• New Incra Jig Setup 1- 700.jpg
    New Incra Jig Setup 1- 700.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 290
Probably kinda sorta like this...

attachment.php

The cabinet idea looks like a good one, Alan. I know at the heart of it you've got a good saw. :thumb: I also like the cover plate you made for the back where the belt enters the saw cabinet. I bodged together something out of magnetic sign material for mine when I enclosed the bottom for dust collection, but yours looks a lot more "DC-tight". Now all you need to add is the Incra setup and you'd be golden. :p

Actually, "DC Tight" may now work as well, when I did a similar thing to my old DeWalt portable saw, I made it too tight and the DC did not suck at all, I was also using a zero clearance insert, shopmade, and there just wasn't enough airflow.

Just saying :wave:

good solid idea, design, and construction.

what you been turning out as far as woodworking these days anyway?

ARe you 100% finished with all the kitchen builds? Backsplashes, floors, walls?

Well Allen it all started when I went to resaw the pecan for the crown moulding in the kitchen.
2-2-11 001 (600 x 800).jpg
Thats when I realized that the bandsaw was just too high so I built a new base for it that was 10" shorter and had storage in it. Now I can use my mobile cart and the outfeed table for support.
2-2-11 003 (800 x 600).jpg
I'm also working on this cabinet for a friend of mine. It's made from red oak and magnolia. I couldn't believe they were going to use this wood to make pallets with.:eek: :doh:
2-2-11 002 (600 x 800).jpg
I also have a bar to make out of the same material along with a desk out of cedar not to mention the cabinet for my daugther out of quarter sawn doug with the panels having some wild figure to them.:D Plus a comission job to build out a closet that I hope will lead to other paying jobs. She gave me a deposit without a firm price or drawings. She said after seeing pics of my work she knew I was the person for the job.

Just a little update on my shop project. I got a heck of a deal on some full extention 100 lb drawer slides for my mobile tablesaw base. They were $4.00 a pair!:thumb:

I made a drawer to hold my routers and a shallower one above for some of the accessories. I also made the pullouts for my router bits. Next will be getting the dust collection for above and below the table and I got a head start on that by replacing the flex duct for the saw with metal ductwork.
2-25-11 001.JPG2-25-11 002.JPG2-25-11 003.JPG
2-25-11 004.JPG2-25-11 005.JPG2-25-11 006.JPG
2-25-11 007.JPG

This. :thumb:

Drawers == good. :D
Shelves == bad. :(

(IMHO. I want to transition to virtually all of my shop storage being somehow closed up against dust + just looking messy)

Art, imagine how I felt when we bought our house and I saw this in the garage...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Garage 1 600.jpg
    Garage 1 600.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Garage 2 600.jpg
    Garage 2 600.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 87
I also have three old surplus cabinets with lots of drawers, and a few plastic parts organizers with drawers. Last time I counted them all, it was over 100 and that wasn't including the plastic ones. :thumb: As a bonus, the previous owner of our house was into competitive shooting, so about half the cabinets have beefed-up shelves intended to hold boxes of ammo. :D They work great for tools.