Issue with a Makita 2012NB Planer

Rich Aldrich

I have had this planer for 10 years. It has always been decent until a few days ago. Normal width boards run well through the planer. There has aways been a hint of snipe, but normally not a big issue.

I ran 4 glue ups through the planer at almost width capacity (12"). I have a Wixey planer thickness gage on the unit. Taking 0.005" at a time, the last 4 inches on one side had chatter. It was like the head lock came loose or something. If I put pressure up on the board, it got worse. I adjusted the outfeed and infeed so they did not put as much pressure up on the board and made matters worse. It always happens on one side an normally is about 3" across the board. The deep ones were about half way across.

Any ideas of what might be the problem? Bad out feed roller or infeed roller? Head lock not working correctly? Bad bearings? Bad chain?

Try waxing the bed. Made a big difference when I had similar problems with my Grizzly. Nebber woulda thought about it but got advice here.
And it worked. :D

I read about doing this, but didnt know if it would help. I'll pick up some wax tomorrow and try it. This makes sense because narrow boards come out very well. The panels were almost maximum width this planer will handle.

rich narrow boards have less friction surface than a wide board..so maybe its the wax fix to the rescue..

Larry - that is what I was thinking also. It is certainly worth a try.....but now I have to make another glue up to try.....so that means i need to make another cabinet that needs a raised panel door.:D

You are just trying to keep me away from that spinny thing.:rofl:

i do know for sure that dull blades will cause trouble, and the wax wont help dull blades but you have said yu changed them out so its the slick surface problem next.. just take a wide board of anything and run it threw there..doesnt need to be a glue up..