OT Computer help...........again......

Stuart Ablett

OK first off, I swear, hand on heart, the next computer we buy WILL be an Apple, I'm real tired of this constant Windoze crap.

We have a laptop in the L shop, I've been using it for about a year, we bought it used, not too old, on the cheap, but in the last few months it is always having problems.

I think the HD is dying, if not dead.

I get the blue screen of death each time I try to start it.

Safe Mode too.

Win XPJ home

The BSD says "A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

Technical information: *** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8235c9F0, 0x000009c,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Me thinks I need a hew hard drive, any computer guys out there that can offer any advice?

Cheers!

Me thinks I need a hew hard drive,

A sick hard disk sounds the most likely. :(

You could try booting off the setup CD, reformatting the disk and installing XP again from scratch. If this fails then it's new disk time :rolleyes:

Good luck :type:

Ian

Hi Stu,
I built my own PC's for over 25 years. Always had the top of the heap. I FINALLY got tired of having to do two hours, to two day repair work in order to do a fifteen minute task. I switched to Mac four years ago. I have not had a boot problem, not ONE virus, no burps back to the original settings, none of that crap. I tell Mac to do something and it "Just Does it." And you can really multitask! I run 3 to seven programs at any given time with all my projects. Mac doesn't care. Drag and drop really works (Within and to and from all Mac apps!) You can have Mickeysoft Office for Mac so you will be compatible with the PC on word processing. (etc.)
I'm sitting in the living room accessing all the computers, printers, scanners and back up drives out in the computer room. I can take the laptop out to the shop and do the same thing. I never get a "Can't the find network" problem.

A friend told me for years that if you think you should be able to do it, on a Mac, you can. Damn if he wasn't right. I will never look back.

No, I am not affiliated with Apple. :rofl:

DT

I sympathize for you Stu, I ween'd my wife from windows this past Xmas, she got a Mac Mini. AFAICT, she loves it. Japanese was a big issue for us, and the Mac is good on localization. The thing is that even though the Mac Mini is on the slow side, it's so quiet that it works out really well. My wife was using windows on a development server I used to use as my desktop. It was so loud and was in the family room. She got the entry level, $599, includes OSX and they had a rebate for a free printer at Xmas.

The Mac Mini is awesome, and we got a free printer. My wife already had a 21" flat panel display, so it was a no brainer.

I will say that my son had bad experiences with Neo-Office (the Mac version of OpenOffice kinda-sorta), and he uses ms office almost all the time. Junko has been using the Neo-Office 2.x that is available (might be beta) and it's been fine for the stuff she needs to do. She needs to type and print recipes for the cooking classes she gives.

So far the only annoyance is that it always seems to print 1 copy no matter how many she tells it. That could have been a bug and an update might fix that, I don't know. I need to update it for her. Anyway, Neo-Office worked fine for all of her StarOffice documents. BTW, they had a really funny add in Japan where a lady gives birth to a horse in a mini-mart. Did you ever see it? They stand around and the guy says, "It's a miracle", and then they go into the StarOffice piece...it was a funny ad, in Japanese.

Now my wife is windows free. We have one last system running ms software, and probably won't get rid of that one...my son's gaming machine...he's learned how lousy the sofware is in the Northwestern region on the U.S. FWIW, I live 5 minutes from Apple, all the elementary and middle schools have Macs, entirely. The high school is mixed though, as it's under a different school district that blankets the high schools.

My kids use macs also...:thumb: I use UNIX most of the time, and have a MacBook Pro that I dual boot Mac OSX and occasionally UNIX. But then, Mac OSX is UNIX.:thumb:

Here is a question. What about those of us that have to run software that is not available for a Mac? I have some specialized software I have to have in my business. Is there anyway to run PC software on a Mac?

Of course I don't have problems with mine. Well rarely have problems. I got feed up with W98 and having to reboot at least twice a day many years ago. I broke down and bought W2K and never looked back. It works for me and as I said, rarely a problem. When I do have a problem it is usually hardware and not software.

Had people try to get me to "UPGRADE" to XP but no way. I love W2K. I have 3 computers in house now with the addition of a used one someone gave me for the shop. All networked and they just all work together.

I have found XP to be the best OS yet. It seems to be very much 'self healing'. Really sounds like a hardware, specifically hard drive problem.
Why PCs still have hard drives is a puzzlement to me. With all the high capacity flash memory available we still have a mechanical thing spinning in there subject to wear, dust and whatever.

Here is a question. What about those of us that have to run software that is not available for a Mac? I have some specialized software I have to have in my business. Is there anyway to run PC software on a Mac?

Yes you can. There are several ways to do this.

First- make sure you buy an Intel based Mac. All currently sold (new) macs are Intel based, so this only is an issue if you want to buy yoused.

Second- There are (at least) three ways to run Windows software on a Mac.

a) use bootcamp and you can dual-boot. So you can reboot your machine into Windows when needed. In my opinion, this is really only useful if your need for Windows is infrequent. Why? Because rebooting is a pain in the neck!

b) use Parallels. this is a software package that lets you emulate a PC and it runs "on top of" the Mac OS. So you pop open a Parallels window, and in that window you can run any PC OS you want: So you can run Linux, or you can run MS-Windows.

This is called virtualization and it is a VERY powerful and useful tool. Think of it, you can have a Parallels window/setup just to run Word. And another one just to run your specific app. And another one just to browse weird and suspicious websites such that ONLY THAT instance of the OS will be infected with viruses and spyware. And when you're done, just blow it away and create a new instance. Tada.

The downside of both (a) and (b) is that you need to buy a legal copy of windows to run.

c) use CrossOver Office from Codeweavers. This is a software package that is designed to emulate Windows. No, it isn't perfect, so it is not guaranteed to run all Windows software. Rather, the company has tuned it so that certain Windows Software runs very well. Details are on their website. They've got a huge list of software, and ratings for how well it works. And you can download a trial to see how well it works with your specific software.

Oh, and there is also a fourth option: make sure that you contact the company that makes the software you need and tell them that you want a Mac version. If enough people do, they'll see the market and fill it.

I know of a few companies that are careful to write their software in Java - since Java is portable and will run on Windows, Mac, Linux, Unix....

hope this helps.
...art

This is what you need, Stu.... I love mine!

PowerMac with dual 2.0Ghz G5 processors, 3Gb RAM, dual 160GB SATA HDs.

Connected to 20" Apple Cinema Monitor.

Great setup Greg! :thumb: I've got the dual processor G5 with the same display and the 15" iBook I've never had a setup that worked so well together.

DT

This is what you need, Stu.... I love mine!

PowerMac with dual 2.0Ghz G5 processors, 3Gb RAM, dual 160GB SATA HDs.

It's great Greg, but ... No he doesn't!!! That's a bit of overkill for the dungeon.

If you're buying new, then the Mac Mini is a perfect little home machine. Web surfing, email, some Word processor or spreadsheet work... The only thing to keep in mind is that you need at least 1GB of RAM for comfort. My wife started with 512MB and it was doable, but a bit slow when she had multiple things open. (iPhoto, for instance, is reportedly a big of a hog on resources, due to all the images in the database). Since we upgraded to 1GB she has been far happier.

For the dungeon, Stu could pick up a 2nd hand older Mac Mini, or maybe an older iBook or PowerBook G4 which would also do the trick.

The thing is that even though the Mac Mini is on the slow side, it's so quiet that it works out really well.

I will say that my son had bad experiences with Neo-Office (the Mac version of OpenOffice kinda-sorta), and he uses ms office almost all the time.

Alan is right about the silence. I have a Linux box at home on the desk next to my wife's desk (with her Mac Mini). Her machine is dead silent. My machine has a near-constant hum. And that is after upgrading the fans to quieter models.

Oh, and I use NeoOffice all the time. For basic word processing and spreadsheets I have almost no issues with it. The only compatibility issues I've had is with excel spreadsheets where the person was using some really high end macros/spreadsheet-linking things.

...art

Don,

I'm running dual monitors too, the 20" Cinema and a 15" LCD monitor.

I also have a 17" iMac with 2Gb Intel Core 2 Duo chips with OS-X and Win XP running with Parallels.

Art,

I would think twice before putting any computer in the "Dungeon". :eek:

I had a mac mini and loved it. Ran MS Office, Photoshop Elements, lots of stuff on it. 1Gb ram is a must. I sold it to but my Jet mini, tools etc. The unit is quiet because it uses convection cooling...with a fan only for the very rare times it needs it. Great machine, but I love my iMac!:thumb:

I sympathize for you Stu, I ween'd my wife from windows this past Xmas, she got a Mac Mini. AFAICT, she loves it. Japanese was a big issue for us, and the Mac is good on localization. The thing is that even though the Mac Mini is on the slow side, it's so quiet that it works out really well. My wife was using windows on a development server I used to use as my desktop. It was so loud and was in the family room. She got the entry level, $599, includes OSX and they had a rebate for a free printer at Xmas.

The Mac Mini is awesome, and we got a free printer. My wife already had a 21" flat panel display, so it was a no brainer.

I will say that my son had bad experiences with Neo-Office (the Mac version of OpenOffice kinda-sorta), and he uses ms office almost all the time. Junko has been using the Neo-Office 2.x that is available (might be beta) and it's been fine for the stuff she needs to do. She needs to type and print recipes for the cooking classes she gives.

So far the only annoyance is that it always seems to print 1 copy no matter how many she tells it. That could have been a bug and an update might fix that, I don't know. I need to update it for her. Anyway, Neo-Office worked fine for all of her StarOffice documents. BTW, they had a really funny add in Japan where a lady gives birth to a horse in a mini-mart. Did you ever see it? They stand around and the guy says, "It's a miracle", and then they go into the StarOffice piece...it was a funny ad, in Japanese.

Now my wife is windows free. We have one last system running ms software, and probably won't get rid of that one...my son's gaming machine...he's learned how lousy the sofware is in the Northwestern region on the U.S. FWIW, I live 5 minutes from Apple, all the elementary and middle schools have Macs, entirely. The high school is mixed though, as it's under a different school district that blankets the high schools.

My kids use macs also...:thumb: I use UNIX most of the time, and have a MacBook Pro that I dual boot Mac OSX and occasionally UNIX. But then, Mac OSX is UNIX.:thumb:

Hi Alan,
I have never owned the Mini but I did order one and set it up for a lady friend of mine. It is a tiny bit slow but not much more so than my iBook. (The dual G5 is a whole nother story ;))
The thing that impressed me for a $600 machine was what it was able to do. I had two back up drives, sound system, 17" display, two printers and a mouse all hooked to that tiny box. They not only worked flawlessly the wireless picked up on my network immediately and ask "uh, you wanna use all that stuff in the back room?" :rofl:
That's a little powerhouse you have there.
One of the best things about a Mac is in the pull down menu under every application’s heading. There you will find the preferences section. You can select the way you want your apps to work without having to dig for the setups. This might be where you will find your printer problem.

DT

The only thing to keep in mind is that you need at least 1GB of RAM for comfort. My wife started with 512MB and it was doable, but a bit slow when she had multiple things open. (iPhoto, for instance, is reportedly a big of a hog on resources, due to all the images in the database). Since we upgraded to 1GB she has been far happier.

You are right there Art, memory is certainly the key. I have found that iPhoto did indeed bog the machine down. First of all it won't reach out and work with images on another hard disk or removable media. It won't even work with images on the Mac Hard disk unless you import them into the database.
Once there you have three copies of every image, the original, the thumb and the working image. After a bit of digging I did find out how to keep the database on an external drive. iPhoto, iTunes, iWeb etc. are programs geared to take over and do it for you. I never did like that. If I want it done that way I'll do it myself. ;)
There are some wonderful third party programs out there for the Mac, such as Graphic Converter (http://www.lemkesoft.com/). With this one I can do anything that needs to be done with an image anywhere on my network and it saves the results right back where it belongs.
Another thing I like about the Mac third party software is that the free updates seem to go on forever. Most of them usually won't ask for another purchase unless it is a total rework.
There are a lot of people out there in the Mac community making great software that really works and the prices are quite acceptable.
That's my humble opinion. :)

DT

Last edited:
Thanks Art, that answered a question I had wondered about for long time. I have 2 or 3 programs that are specific to my work and are windows only. Very specialized, low volume and high cost software.

Still, I have no plans to change over but it's good to know what your options are.

.... I have found that iPhoto did indeed bog the machine down. First of all it won't reach out and work with images on another hard disk or removable media. It won't even work with images on the Mac Hard disk unless you import them into the database.

DT

Ahhhh, Don, you have obviously not heard of iPhoto Library Manager! :dunno: :D

View attachment 4962

Allows you to create multiple libraries, store where you want, will even pull libraries on networked drives... I use it all the time. :thumb:

Stu could set up libraries for woodworking, motorcycles, cigars...... :rofl:

Last edited:
The only thing to keep in mind is that you need at least 1GB of RAM for comfort. My wife started with 512MB and it was doable, but a bit slow when she had multiple things open.
I agree. I bought my wife the model with 512mb for one reason, price. I was going to upgrade here, but then decided the processor was almost the same, but the memory was the big value add. As I pondered over it, I thought, "self, so I want to pay Apple the premium for memory, or do I want to hack it and add it myself even though it voids the warranty...?". Since I had one 512mb SIMM already, I figured I would go that route.

Noise wise I can't emphasize enough the beauty of a quiet computer. I think these small, quiet, clients will become more and more popular.

A colleague of mine has an A-Open box that is similar in noise and size to the Mac Mini. They're very close in price, but to me the Mac OSX was worth enough to push me over the edge and get it for my wife.

Nice setup Greg, this is mine:

(trivia: Notice the Kerbango Internet Radio, I wrote all of the communications for it. It has embedded Linux inside of it, we basically put Monta Vista on the map. The Kerbango Tuning Service is where the radio portion of iTunes came from. The first version of iTunes used to contact the KTS for mp3 streams. Unfortunately 3Com shelved the project as the dot-bomb era ended...but that everyone on the team had their stock vested, for what that was worth...that radio kicks, and still to this day there has been no radio appliance better than ours:)).

Art gave a good rundown of running Windows on your Mac, I run bootcamp on mine and dual boot with Solaris. I find I run Mac OSX most all of the time, but I have used my MacBook to give presies at conferences under Solaris, and it's been useful for that.

Jeff,

Yep, you can run Windows on a Mac! Must be an Intel powered one...all the new ones. There are at least 3 ways to do it.

BootCamp. Apple's solution, but you have to reboot to switch between OS-X and Win.

VMWare. Established company bringing out their version of VM soft for Mac.

Parallels... Allows you to run Windows (or Linux) via a VirualMachine (I call a disposable computer). Parallels slips between OS-X and the Mac hardware and allocates the Intel Chips, HD, RAM, VideoCard, in/out ports, CD/CVD drives, etc. to a software VM running your "Guest OS". This is the one I use with Win XP (I also have a second VM with Umbutu Linux, but I'm just learning it).

With Parallels, you run the Guest OS in parallel with OS X, so there is no rebooting between them. It doesn't "emulate" windows, so speed is good. I'm running Win XP with Parallels on an iMac, Intel 2Ghz Core 2 Duo, 1Gb RAM ( I need to upgrade to 2Gb for all my work, not just Parallels,)

And yes...you're running Windoooooze, so you need all the usual Anti-XXX stuff!:eek::doh:

What soft is it that you need to run?

Alan,

Yep, Apple rips us off on memory. Lots of other sources, cheaper and just as good. It was a little scary the time I "popped the top" on my mini, though.....LOL

Last edited: