A Place For Everything Box

Stuart Ablett

I recently bought the >> Veritas Shelf Hole Drilling Jig << and I got the extra long bars for doing extra wide shelves as well. The extra long bars did not fit into the cardboard box that the regular jig comes in, so I figured I'd build a simple box to keep it all in place. I know that if I don't keep all the bits and pieces together in one place, I'll end up misplacing some part and then spend too much time looking for it :doh:

IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1225.jpg

Here is the result, nothing fancy, but it holds everything in place so I can find it when I need it!

Cheers!

Very cool.

How do you like the jig?

I picked up one of the cheap plastic ones for doing my shop cabinets, but I'm finding that I don't drill each hole exactly perpendicular. Works fine for what I'm doing, but I wouldn't use it on any thing 'fancy'

How about a little more detail on how you secured all the parts? Looks like you cut out the pattern of some of the tools on a board that you placed in box. Is that a solid wood box with a plywood top and bottom? I also noticed the glued blocks on the lid to prevent movement of some of the parts. I need to do the same and am interested in your methods.

Nice looking jig there Stu. I've always used throw-aways for doing shelf holes but always find the holes get a little wobbly nearing the end of the drilling. A jig like that is nice and precise. Fine job on the box too.

Very cool.

How do you like the jig?

I picked up one of the cheap plastic ones for doing my shop cabinets, but I'm finding that I don't drill each hole exactly perpendicular. Works fine for what I'm doing, but I wouldn't use it on any thing 'fancy'
Same here - I bought the one from Woodcraft. It works, but there is some slop and I need to build up the router base 1/8" because the collar bottoms out as the template is too thin.

Stu that little CNC ought to be unbeatable at drilling these holes.....
Garry

It would, but I'm having software problems at the moment, GeeTech and are are working on it, but so far, no joy, and the length is a bit limited for the cigar humidor I want one long tall cabinet, which has to do more with air circulation than anything.

I'll get more pics of it for those interested, yes, the blocks on the lid hold stuff in place, and it is just a butt joint plywood box :eek:

Cheers!

Great storage box for all those goodies Stu. Shames me into thinking about building a decent home for a couple of my little helpers. It sure is nice to have a spot for a tool and all the items that go with.

Last edited: