Wanna Buy a Lathe?

Bernie, I just got off the phone with Mark. He does suspect that my lathe is part of the lot that needed modifications. Based on his suggestions, I just now ordered new drive and motor pullies (and another $27 drive belt). The two pullies combined are just a little more than $15. Of course with tax and shipping, the whole kit including the belt is a bit over $57, but I can live with that, especially if it solves the problem.Thanks for the help.

Still gonna keep my eyes open for the next lathe though, whatever it may end up being. Tax refund time is coming. (Or as I call it, Uncle Sam's no-interest savings bank.) :rolleyes: Maybe I can talk SWMBO into letting me have some of it to play with.

Still gonna keep my eyes open for the next lathe though, whatever it may end up being. Tax refund time is coming.

Don't know what your looking for but going to state the obvious here. Keep an eye on EBay. There are some great older lathes out there. I bought mine and had it shipped to me. Wasn't that expensive either.

Jeff

Yep Vaughn hope that does it for you. I too am keeping my eyes open. If I could find a nice used Nova DVRxp I would probably snatch it up. I just missed one in Wichita 3 1/2 yrs. old and he sold it for $1100. He said he swore to God he sold it 8 to 9 minutes before I called. Cause if he still had it I would jump all over it.

I will be watching. Have a great week Vaughn.

Bernie

Wow Bernie, if I saw a DRV XP for $1,100, I'd be buying immediately and explaining it to SWMBO later. :) At that price you could still afford to buy the bed extension and make or build a stand and be below the competing 110v 16" lathes. Also, at that price you know you could sell it later and get your money back. Future resale value is one of the advantages to buying used equipment, and it makes sense to want to recoup my cost on whatever I buy considering the fact that I still would like to have something in the 20"+ class somewhere down the road.

If I do buy new, the more I've looked at the DVR XP I'm afraid it's more money than I want to spend when I consider I'd also need to buy the bed extension for the hollowing rig and buy/make some type of stand. I'm still researching the General 25-650, and have also been studying the Jet 1642EVS and the new Grizzly GO632 16 x 42 with EVS. They all have very similar headstock arrangements (look like they came out of the same plant). If I had to choose one tomorrow in that price range, I'd probably go with the General since it's available locally at Eagle Tools, a shop that has an excellent reputation for knowing their stuff and giving good service. (Sam Maloof is a customer, for example.) But...I don't have to choose tomorrow, so the hunt is still on. ;)

I just have to say that I think Bernie is confused.

The Nova DVR-XP just came out, not 3 1/2 years ago, so I think the lathe Bernie was looking at for $1100 was most likely a Nova DVR-3000 like I have.

Still a great deal if you can find it for that price.

Cheers!

I just have to say that I think Bernie is confused.

The Nova DVR-XP just came out, not 3 1/2 years ago, so I think the lathe Bernie was looking at for $1100 was most likely a Nova DVR-3000 like I have.

Still a great deal if you can find it for that price.

Cheers!

You are right Stu I just typed to many letters. I looked and it just says Nova DVR. That is all he sent me. I probably should ask.

Bernie