Orientation of the cut and Turning

Dan Mosley

I read an article awhile back about cutting of wood blanks which got me thinking of changing my approach to cutting my blanks for bowls and vessels.
I used to take a log and cut out the center (pith), cut off the corners making it round as I could. Then, I would decide if I wanted to create a natural edge rim or a machined like rim.
That was pretty much all there was to making a blank on my part......

Now after reading an article I found on the web about experimenting with cutting your woodturning blanks, it really got me thinking more about the blank before cutting one.

::::::::::::: From The Article::::::::::::::::

With the machined rim (pith would be to the top) the turning would have a hyperbolic pattern on the inside.

With the natural edge - all rings will be whole because none of them were cut off by the flat rim.

By moving the center of the turning blank off center you can give the sense of motion or tension, while a centered grain pattern appears more balanced.
When the rings are not centered the pattern will shift toward the pith side. They also can create an off centered pattern depending on which side is hollowed out.
Open bowls turned with the pith at the bottom will show a concentric oval pattern. Outer most rings will be broken due to the flat rim cut through

Bottom line is examine the grain to determine the look before you cut then next blank your going to make.

Last edited:
Vaughn ----- yes, I think its the same article but I had only cut and copied out what I thought was important at the time - your link is better because it has the pictures with the explanation. A short article but one that can make you start thinking more about how you want to cut that blank.

I think you are referring to end grain turned bowls Mike. Turning end grain can be a challenge with a greater risk of catches. I know a master turner who turns end grain most of the time and he uses custom scrapers almost all the time. His scrapers utilize cobalt enhanced HSS lathe blanks. Typically 1/8th thick by 1/2" wide. They fit in a steel bar around 2 foot long so he can turn with the bar against his body for control. I have made a couple of copies of his tool design and they work very well.