USA Today Article about Table Saw Safety

can_of_worms.jpg

Cynthia probably doesn't realize the type of debates this topic has caused in the past. ;) As a friendly Public Service Announcement, let's try to keep it civil, folks. :D

can_of_worms.jpg

Cynthia probably doesn't realize the type of debates this topic has caused in the past. ;) As a friendly Public Service Announcement, let's try to keep it civil, folks. :D

Vaughn.....can of worms really covers it.:thumb:

Think I will exercise my common sense and just keep my mouth shut. You don't make many friends by arguing.

:eek: Here we go!
:( I want a saw stop eventually.
:eek: Be easy to afford and justify after losing fingers/hand.
:doh: Why does he want it mandated?
:) We are a country of free people, free to cut off our fingers if we so choose.
:rofl: It's either this or cry!
:dunno: It seems to be a black and white issue, no gray areas.
:type: My range of emotions, condensed.

I thank Cynthia for bringing this up, sore of like prayer, need to do do and or be reminded every day about safety. That's why we have safety charts hanging in our shops.
I was on a job about 25 years ago and a good friend hacked off his hand while I was faux painting on the job we meet at. It was not pretty and I sort of see the scene every time I start up the table saw. Main thing, check everything 2 and 3 times, the area around you your guides. I do not want to hear about an accident. So my son Jarrod tells me I'm not touching that thing. He is so annal about safety and I am glad for that.

i'll leave it at this, at the local woodworking/cabinet shop i get lumber at, they have a sawstop, and have gone through several cartridges. only 3 for thier intended purpose, the others were misfires. for me, 'nuff said about sawstop.

i'll leave it at this, at the local woodworking/cabinet shop i get lumber at, they have a sawstop, and have gone through several cartridges. only 3 for thier intended purpose, the others were misfires. for me, 'nuff said about sawstop.
Three hands saved is a powerful statement. You can understand why shops put in a SawStop. Let's say each cartridge/blade combination costs $200. That's extremely cheap compared to the cost of insurance, the shut down time after the accident, and the OSHA reports.

I'm sure the owner pays the costs with a smile, and the people whose hands were saved smile, also.

That's a wonderful endorsement - thanks for sharing.

Mike

Dan
I must be dense as I don't understand your point. It seems as if the three would justify the purchase and more than pay for the misfires.

But I am reading that you think the misfires justify that the Sawstop is highley over rated.

I would tend to think the three real fires have probably saved well over the cost of the saw and cartridges in medical and legal fees. And with those users I suspect at least some of the misfires are caused by cutting wet wood and aren't really misfires. And in some cases they may have actually had flesh touch and not bleed so deny they were that stupid. Yes I used to work at a lumber yard.

In any case I would like to know which you believe.
The real fires make the saw well worthwhile.

Or the misfires show how useless the Sawstop really is.

I don't have one but would like too.

My shop teacher basically cut off his hand in later years .. My brother ruined a hand buy cutting several fingers past the bone however a surgeon managed to install enough pins to save them though they are pretty misshaped....

Mandated I really kinda sit on the fence, used to be totally against that but suspect it makes more sense than putting babies in the back seat so mothers are always looking backwards..

Last edited:
Dan, I'm among those who disagree with your assessment.
Sorry for the broad brush, but workers in ww shops and lumber yards can get mighty careless and sloppy with tools, especially saws. Miracle there aren't permanent puddles of blood and fingers laying around most. Same with other vocations. I walk out of welding shops when I see guys using the arc tools and no facemasks. They may blind themselves, but not on my dollar. But, I digress. The SS makes sense but should be completely voluntary for private use.