shaper conumdrum

Frank Fusco

:eek: Can I say "conundrum" here?????????

Enneyhow, a good friend wants to make some kind of trade with me (he wants one of my guns but that isn't going to happen ;) ) for a shaper he has. I, sorta, got a look at it recently. It is a big ole cast iron job. He has worked the motor and it runs. Takes 3/4" bits.
Being sawdust addicted, like most here, I want it. Dunno why :huh:, really. I have no current need for it as I don't have furniture making skills (some would say I don't the spinny skills either.....but let us not go there for now :eek: ) . I don't have shop space for it even though it is on a mobile base. But, it still is tempting.
Contemplating, contemplating. Wat to do.
Yes, yes, I know. You want pics. When I saw it it was buried in 'stuff' from his shop. I'll get pics later.
I'll check out prices of 3/4" bits, that alone might decide the issue for me.

How often do you use a router table? Chances are, you'd use the shaper less.

That said, it might be something you could use in barter for something else you'd be more likely to use.

How often do you use a router table? Chances are, you'd use the shaper less.

That said, it might be something you could use in barter for something else you'd be more likely to use.

My current shaper/router is a Grizzly mini-shaper.
http://grizzly.com/products/Mini-Shaper/G8693

I almost didn't buy it because it is so small, I feared it would be a toy. But, it is a little hoss and serves my needs well....so far. I use it less than once a month.
Really, I can't think of a need for a Clydesdale. But, I have a Terrco duplicator (not the famous one that took so long to sell, a smaller version) I never use. It takes a lot of room in the garage (not the shop) and has never been used. The shaper would take less room. I might find a dedicated use or could resale or trade. Saving space and the 'maybe' factor are the only real inducements right now.

I was given an old Delta light duty shaper a couple of years ago. It came with a 24" scroll saw and a Junior Unisaw - all Delta, all late 1940's. I put the scroll saw and table saw to use immediately, and the shaper sat in the corner for about a year. Then, i started doing a lot of trim work in the house. I hate using routers, so i tuned up the shaper and put it to use. It worked great and was easy to use. Now that i have an appreciation for its place in the shop and on various projects, i'm glad i have it. Until then, i didn't really see a need for it and simply took it as part of the package deal with the other machines.

If you've never used one, i would recommend reading up on some basic shaper instructions before puting wood through it. There are some does and don'ts. Feather boards or hold downs will save some mistakes and maybe some finger tips.

I suppose it all comes down to what type of woodworking you do. It may or may not be a usefull tool for you. For some basic molding, it can help you save a lot of money over buying the pre-cut stuff from the big box store.

paulh

got the shaper

Yesterday, I hauled an old cement mixer to a friend's house. It had been damaged by a fallen tree but I believed he could fix and use it. I just intended to give it to him.
This is same friend who has (had) the aforementioned shaper.
Well, he had it hauled out from the dark recesses of his shop and gave it to me in trade for the mixer. I hadn't asked for it, but that's the kind of friends we are. More like brothers, really.
It is an old Craftsman. Upper is heavy all cast iron. Lower is sheet metal. Motor is 1/2 hp and recently reworked.
I don't know what I'm going to do with it. For now will stay in garage as I am out of space in shop. May become dedicated for a single chore. But really don't know yet.
Does have one bit, looks like an ogee.

Attachments

• shaper front.jpg
    shaper front.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 83
  • shaper back.jpg
    shaper back.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 73
:eek: Can I say "conundrum" here?????????

Enneyhow, a good friend wants to make some kind of trade with me (he wants one of my guns but that isn't going to happen ;) ) for a shaper he has. I, sorta, got a look at it recently. It is a big ole cast iron job. He has worked the motor and it runs. Takes 3/4" bits.
Being sawdust addicted, like most here, I want it. Dunno why :huh:, really. I have no current need for it as I don't have furniture making skills (some would say I don't the spinny skills either.....but let us not go there for now :eek: ) . I don't have shop space for it even though it is on a mobile base. But, it still is tempting.
Contemplating, contemplating. Wat to do.
Yes, yes, I know. You want pics. When I saw it it was buried in 'stuff' from his shop. I'll get pics later.
I'll check out prices of 3/4" bits, that alone might decide the issue for me.

Frank

That shaper is like one of the shapers Dad gave me.

You may want to measure the shaft the cutters go on I think it may be 1//2".

Last edited:
another confusion ???

The shaper runs (sorta) just fine. Seems to struggle on starting then takes off. But, it spins clock-wise. My other shaper, the Grizzly mini spins counter-clock-wise. :huh: I haven't looked in the catalogs yet but wonder which is right. BTW, the bit in the big new-old shaper is correct for a clock-wise.

Now I'm really confused. Catalogs only show counter-clockwise cutters.
One on this shaper is for clockwise. Wassup?
Methinks I'll have to take the motor to the motor shop and get rewired to spin the other direction.

At school we had a Powermatic shaper and I helped a friend set up a Grizzly. Both of those had a directional switch. Cutters were CW or CCW depending on how they were placed on the spindle.

For what it's worth,
Ike

Frank,

I was just looking at the picture you posted earlier. Isn't the switch on the left side a reversing switch?

Ike

Attachments

• shaper%20front.jpg
    shaper%20front.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 35