File Handles---A Stroke of Genus (Gee Nuts)

File Handles, A Stroke of Genus (Gee Nuts)

You may have seen Glenn’s thread about breaking a file handle. Well this is what started me into slave labor---making file handles for Glenn.

View attachment 53921

I made a couple singles, seen here along with Glenn’s original demo.

View attachment 53929

Then, brilliant as I am, I decided to go “Assembly Line” and be efficient.

View attachment 53922
View attachment 53923

At this point STOP and tell me what is wrong (gad what an opening---However we know that gentlemen will not step into/onto that line).

No fair peeking yet, unless you saw the problem.

The theory was to make three handles all at once, in a line. The steady rest would hold the three handles in perfect alignment while I removed the tail-stock and placed a chuck and proper size drill in place. Then I would drill the hole. And then I would cut off the right-most handle and drill the hole for the next handle. And repeat for the last handle.

View attachment 53924

As you can see I am drilling a perfectly centered hole in the second handle. HOWEVER, it is in the wrong danged end of the handle! Even after, yours truly, the Gee Nuts, turned two out of three handles wrong-end-to---he kept right on going and drilled.

Here is a close up of the screw up.

View attachment 53925

Now that I have given all of you a good lesson in thinking ahead, I think I shall bid you all “Good Night”---or is that “Good Grief.”

Enjoy,

Jim

p.s. Don’t tell Glenn. He will razz the pajeebers out of me.

Last edited:
Just tell Glenn they are ventilated handles. The hole in the butt end of the handle allows the heat from filing to escape. Keeps the file from warping. True story. :D

Thats cool. I usually just take a lager dowel rod and round off the end and drill out the channel. Much less work for a busy guy. :thumb:

That's how I've done it to date. But, I knew dad had a lathe, I had the scraps and now that he is retired, the poor old guy has nothing to do :D I thought this might keep him out of the pool hall.

But Jim you have not made a single mistake so far, all i see is a hole into which you surely planned ahead to use for a hook to hold the files with when they are hung up by the handle.;):D:thumb:

Besides i recall Glenn was getting intouch with his turning side and making his own or at least somewhere i recall seeing a post to that effect. So if i were Glenn i would be keeping a low low profile on this post, i thought he was big enough and had a workshop full enough to make his own by now. Did not know he still needed Dad to help "ride" the "bicycle" ?:stick: ok i am going to :chair: thank goodness i am far away from you guys.:rofl:

Thanks for the demo Jim, i get stuck like this often, one of my half completed projects is something very similar except that the handles are mallet handles in ash.:D:eek:

A couple more file handle pics with a twist

Hi,

The first pic shows a handle with a copper (I don't know what) as the ferrule. This would work well if you wanted to be fancy. Got it at Home Depot in with the copper plumbing fittings.

Second pic is a completed rat tail file in the handle. Pardon the pun but I don't know if Glenn can handle that size file.

Enjoy,

Jim

So much better than the plastic or cheezy wood ones you can get at the store. Love the copper ferrule.... :thumb: