Outfdoor woodsman your knowledge is needed

Rob Keeble

Well i aint used to these parts and the little critters here. So i was shoveling snow on the weekend in the back yard to get to my shop door. Now this aint the first time this has been seen by me but i saw holes in the snow. Initially i thought it was air trapped in the snow now i am thinking there is some critter that is probably a mouse burrowing through the snow like a mole. On the weekend there seemed to be holes all over the place.

Can anyone shed light on what this might be.

We got a snowshoe hare in the back yard and i seen him on the weekend out enjoying a spell of sun but he always runs the same route (actually was thinking if i was a hawk he would be easy pickings the way he leaves a trail) So i know it aint anything to do with the wabbit.

This snow was not hard so i guess its pretty easy for them to manouver in or is it something else?:dunno:

sounds like a shrew to me rob.. they are pretty busy in the snow they eat thew grass and anything they can find the have real short tails and are very hardy.. the fox and coyotes love them..

Hi Cynthia
I have been hanging around for about a year I guess. I'm not very yappy, mainly sarcastic. Thanks for the welcome.

Yep, Brian's from the sarcastic branch of the McMillan clan, and I'm from the yappy one. No sarcasm here for me, no sir, not at all. :p

What type of holes and how big Rob? Any Pics yet? It is most likely some for of rodent. what do you have in your area?

Welcome from the shadows Brian. Glad to see another islander here. What part of Victoria do you live in?

i'd stay out of the area rob, sounds like you've got an infestation of snow snakes...

Seconded. Snow snakes are vicious critters. :eek: This guy's obviously a trained professional handler, or else he'd already be dead:

abc_wnn_snow_snake_101227_wg.jpg

Wow Mack, that's a stunning example of the nearly-rare pygmy albino snow snake. You don't see one of those in the wild every day. :thumb:

I see furrows like that in the snow all the time, Rob. They're made by field mice or voles. Sometimes, there's some talon marks and a bloody spot at the end of the furrow, when an owl gets his dinner.

In anchorage, I'd have these in my yard too. It was mostly voles that did it, though I did run across a couple ermine that did the same thing. They were going after the voles.

Also, depending on where you live, could be those pesky neighbor kids. They do have traps for those kid things if they start trying to come in the house! :rofl:

In anchorage, I'd have these in my yard too. It was mostly voles that did it, though I did run across a couple ermine that did the same thing. They were going after the voles.

Also, depending on where you live, could be those pesky neighbor kids. They do have traps for those kid things if they start trying to come in the house! :rofl:

Does it work for kids trying to move back home too? Where can I find those kind of traps?