Outfdoor woodsman your knowledge is needed

Well i did some research of my own seems to be the voles are the issue. And unlike the shrew which is supposedly capable of chewing a vole although i dont quiet see how that works given both of thems sizes, the vole is a grass eater and leaves the trails we see on the grass when the snow has melted.

I used to think these trails were as a result of the water run off pushing the dead crass clippings to one side ahead of it as it flowed across the ground in the melt.

But those trails are actually voles.

I am thinking judging by the numbers of holes i saw that we need a few more owls to winter over in our parts. Gonna try out a half a dozen peanut butter mousetraps see if i can get me one or six and take a picture. Aparently these guys breed prolifically. My plan now is to try and drive them to the NN's property. He will be near nuts come spring when he sees what they done to his garden and knows its not the wabbit. :rofl::rofl: All this while the miners are at work beneath he snow.:rofl::rofl: Ya got to love it being snow bound.:D

rob, here is a prime example of a snow snake that my dad caught a couple of years ago. don't let them fool you into believing that it's mice or some such. snow snakes are hard to catch because they are hard to spot....

Attachments

• snow snake.jpg
    snow snake.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 21
Sorry Rob I think I missed this one. We had the same problem for 4 or 5 years. Holes in the snow and come spring my lawn looked like a road map of furrows.:doh::doh:

I finally had a lawn guy come. He said the moles/voles were looking for grubs mainly. I treated the lawn with ortho grub killer and got rid of the majority of the little critters. The cat got a few as well. The best thing I used was a bag of dried animal urine:eek::eek:. Sounds crazy but after spreading that stuff on the lawn 2 years ago the little stinkers disappeared.
I'll have to look it up to get the name. It doesn't kill them it just drives them off to your neighbors house. Kind of like termites ;););)