To Close for Comfort

Vaughn, glad you're safe. High powered spinning sharp things are inherently dangerous (and so is a scary sharp chisel) and we can too quickly take that for granted. Thanks for the reminder. :thumb:

I'm like you Vaughn, as soon as I'm done with the TS I put the blade down and slide the fence over it... as much to protect the blade as to protect me... I usually wait for the blade to stop spinning before I do anything with it though.... I'm terrified of the thought of getting into that blade, so I pay very close attention to what I'm doing with the saw.

I know about having to use lifts to brace yourself to get back up off the floor too... sometimes even with a brace, I'm not always sure my old knees are going to get me vertical again.

Even close is no fun. Scary.
My ts practice is to raise hands and step back until blade is fully stopped. I then crank down and unplug.
Table saws scare me. I think mine snarls when I approach it.

Well, I didn't cut mine off, but I sure mangled a few up after kissing the blade with my left hand. Needless to say it was purely my stupidity that took the tip of my index finger, and half the meat from my thumb print area, leaving both with limited sensitivity, not to mention 8 stitches on the adjoining fingers. Worst part, other than the humiliation{and financial mess with no insurance}, came when the doc's started talking amputation of the index and thumb due to the severity. I thought my guitar days were over, not that I'm all that good at it, but just the same a scary thought. I got lucky and kept what was left, and still have mobility with them. Again 'lucky'

My main lesson learned...never reach beyond the blade to help the work piece remain against the fence. If I hadn't been '45'ing{beveling} an edge and instead had the blade at 90 degrees, I would of lopped them all off, it happens THAT FAST.

Glad your call was only close Vaughn, do you see your tools/work zone in a 'whole new light' kinda way? I sure do!

Be careful out there folks, you may be able to pick the movie without fingers, but you can't pick your seat! ;) :D

Actually, I cut the same finger off twice. Last time it stayed off.

I tend to concentrate 100% on what I am working on and am oblivious to what is going on around me. Both times were the same cause, I was startled. And I jumped the wrong way.:rolleyes: I'm one of those wide open all the time sorts and as such am a bit jumpy.

I now have a safety device that cures that problem. A door lock. Whenever I am working I lock the doors. I have a stoplight that I used in the old shop that I hung in an out of the way place, and I connected it to the doorbell that was right by the sign explaining why the door was locked. Shortly I would see the light going through its cycles because of the color changes on things in the shop, and go see who was at the door.

Setting up my new shop I will do the same thing, and add a doorbell button in the house so my wife can summon me. I had a similar problem with the loud phone bell in the last shop, scare the daylights out of me until I took it off line and hooked my phone up to the stoplight.

I figured it out one time how fast a piece of wood is traveling when you get a kickback.

If it gets full traction, and they usually do, the piece is traveling at around 110mph with most tools. Thats going to hurtif it hits you, and if your hand is holding that piece on the wrong side of the blade, I'm sorry to tell you, you are not that fast.

I have never seen a sawstop demo where the send the hotdog into the blade in that situation. I'd be curious if it is fast enough?

Thats what got me last time. I was using a captive jig to run through parts for a crib with a 3/8" dado blade and when startled I have no idea how that thing got me. Someone came up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder and the next thing I know I lost weight the hard way.

The first time I was cutting parts on a chop saw, and someone tapped me on the shoulder and I jumped, the wrong way.

You would think that people would have enough common sense to not do that, but I am here to tell you they don't........

I tend to concentrate 100% on what I am working on and am oblivious to what is going on around me. Both times were the same cause, I was startled. And I jumped the wrong way.:rolleyes: I'm one of those wide open all the time sorts and as such am a bit jumpy.

I'm the same way whether I'm working on the computer or working in the shop. People would get a kick out of coming up behind me when I worked in an office. They would scare the bejeebers out of me and I'd practically jump out of my chair.

You would think that people would have enough common sense to not do that, but I am here to tell you they don't........

Sharon has learned to whistle a little tune before she comes in the shop so she doesn't startle me. I like the idea of a light of somekind hooked up to a doorbell... :thumb:

I have never seen a sawstop demo where the send the hotdog into the blade in that situation. I'd be curious if it is fast enough?

I've seen a few demos in person, as well as a slow-motion video online. Most demos use a "reasonable" feed rate and result in a small scratch - if that. I think you'd be hard-pressed to chop off a finger (on a SawStop) even if you jammed it into the blade as fast as you could.

Can anyone speak from experience on this? Have you seen a "high feed rate" demo ... or done it yourself?

I figured it out one time how fast a piece of wood is traveling when you get a kickback.

If it gets full traction, and they usually do, the piece is traveling at around 110mph with most tools. Thats going to hurtif it hits you, and if your hand is holding that piece on the wrong side of the blade, I'm sorry to tell you, you are not that fast.

Thats what got me last time. I was using a captive jig to run through parts for a crib with a 3/8" dado blade and when startled I have no idea how that thing got me. Someone came up behind me and tapped me on the shoulder and the next thing I know I lost weight the hard way.

The first time I was cutting parts on a chop saw, and someone tapped me on the shoulder and I jumped, the wrong way.

BBM

That's how I got it. Stupid mistake....and like you said....lost weight the hard way

...Can anyone speak from experience on this? Have you seen a "high feed rate" demo ... or done it yourself?

I've heard of (but not seen) demos where they slammed the hot dog down on top of the blade like using a hammer. From what I was told, it still barely left a mark on the hot dog.

I've seen a few demos in person, as well as a slow-motion video online. Most demos use a "reasonable" feed rate and result in a small scratch - if that. I think you'd be hard-pressed to chop off a finger (on a SawStop) even if you jammed it into the blade as fast as you could.

Can anyone speak from experience on this? Have you seen a "high feed rate" demo ... or done it yourself?

So the answer is NO, I do not know if it is fast enough.......

As fast as you could is still nowhere near as fast as a kickback.

OK, let's see. The specs say that the blade is stopped within 5 milliseconds of contact with flesh.

The 10" saw blade is spinning at what ... 3450 RPM? That's
3450 x 10" diameter x 3.14 (pi) = 108,330 inches per minute at the tooth tips
108,330 / 60 = 1806 inches per second

In 5 milliseconds the blade would travel
1806 inches/sec * 5 msec * (1 sec/1000 msec) = 9030 / 1000 = 9.03 inches

Did I do the math right? :dunno:

Now the question is ... what motion should we assume for the flesh during those 5 milliseconds? :huh: