Rustic Tables

Mike Wagner

Howdy, I was wondering if anyone makes "rustic" tables and such? I scroll plaques out of Basswood (can`t figure how to post a pic yet :dunno:) cross cut with bark on. I have ideas for tables with with scrolled inlays, I would like to use angle crosscut tops with bark on, 2"-3" thick, the couple mills I`ve talked to want no part of helping me. I`ve tried cutting my own and air drying but that didn`t work well. I`d appreciate any ideas, Thanks, Mike

mike yu can get them but it is gonna check and split on you big time.. you might be able to stablise it in dna if yu had enough and large enough container.. ask some wood cutters not loggers.. the loggers are in there for the fast dollar and dont want to deal with little people..

"Check and Split" ??? Yep and Yep, a guy helped me cut some beautiful Oak slabs 3" thick, I stacked them to air dry and was drawing up plans, a month later you could roll them down a hill. I`ve seen tops like I want just don`t know where or how to get them. One of the mills in Mio said talk to the Amish and find out how they do it, I don`t know any Amish folks.

One way to get a slab that'll stay (reasonable) flat is to cut it from a long-dead tree. If it's dried out 'in-the-log' chances are it won't check or warp a as much. Cut it twice a s thick as you need, then dress it to size after it's done warping.

Even at that, you can expect probably 2/3 loss.