How Do You Spell Humiliation?

I am so sorry that happened. I don't know what to say. You didn't pay attention to those goof-balls that post things like "Uh, I dint add a base to muh DP or bolt it to thu fuh-loor and I ain't had no truble a-toll" did you? They're the same guys that say "I ain't never used a guard on my tablesaw in 40 years and I never had a ax-ee-dent"

We've all had our share of oopsey-daisy events. That's why I never get tired of folks (most recently Vaughn I believe) telling tales of safety gone wrong and safety gone right. We all need constant reminders. I'll hope for minimal damage.

Last edited:
I could tell about the time that I was unloading a truck with multi units of 3/4" MDF, 34 sheets to a unit and one slid off the forks, smashing into the two units on the other side of the trailer, knocking them to the ground, followed by the one I was trying to unload. Ever seen what 3 units of MDF look like and how far they will slide. Board edges were loaded with gravel, broken, and pretty much wasted. That and they had to be retrieved by hand.

I did learn not to unload the truck on the uphill side and let the help do it there after.

Doug

Thank you so much for the support. Bill L and Drew and Brent--loved your stories. Larry M and Glenn thank you for the kind words. Steve S. you're always full of good ideas.....:rofl:

Well, you guys have been so nice, I figured I better show some photos.....

Here you can see the handles that are slightly bent

DP1.jpg

Here you can see the piece that snapped off

DP2.jpg

Here's my little stand. The DP is now too tall for me to work at comfortably, but Glassman is going to get his old shop to fabricate something for me to stand on that's solid and lightweight, like aluminum extrusion and Lexan. Initially he suggested that I get some high-heeled steel toed boots. :rofl: NOT.

DPStand.jpg

Here's my booboo

DPbooboo.jpg

Here are my steel-toed boots. I don't go in the shop without them, and it's some of the best advice I ever got. Wear boots. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped something on my foot, or propped up something with my foot.....See Larry, I do have pink fluffy slippers.....:D

workboots.jpg

The good news is I didn't break any of my nails. :rofl: :thumb:

Cynthia not to worry all those things can be ordered from the manufacturer and replaced. This is one reason to have a bench top model that can be bolted to a rolling bench. Then you can keep all your drill bits in one place. As for the height issue you should be able to take the stand off and cut down the post to make it a better height.

Oh and nice fuzzy slippers.

Cynthia not to worry all those things can be ordered from the manufacturer and replaced. This is one reason to have a bench top model that can be bolted to a rolling bench. Then you can keep all your drill bits in one place. As for the height issue you should be able to take the stand off and cut down the post to make it a better height.

Oh and nice fuzzy slippers.

Thanks Drew. That occurred to me about the benchtop thing because even before the stand it was just about too tall for me.........how would I go about cutting it down? On second thought, it was a bear bolting it to the stand...i'd hate to have to take that off......:eek:

...how would I go about cutting it down? On second thought, it was a bear bolting it to the stand...i'd hate to have to take that off......:eek:

It's pretty easy. You remove the head from the post, then cut the post a bit shorter. It's a bit of work to lift the head off the post, but it beats having the tool be too high.

+1 on shortening the post. All that damage looks fixable and thank goodness your damage will heal. On the upside, the story will last forever ;-)

wouldnt it be easier to take the piece of the bottom of the post rather than reassemble the head back on? and the and that base could be enlarged with some steel if you got some one near yu that can weld..

Don't recall any major accidents or whoops, but I've done my share of dumb things.

Ever try to rip cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood by yourself?

How about on a rinky table-top saw?

Sitting on sawhorses.

On the side of a hill.

I did carry my new bandsaw up that same hill, and put it on the stand myself. One day I will not be able to, but I will try all the same.

When I set up my dp, I hired a husky high school guy to lift the head up onto the post.
When I set up my new lathe it took two of us to carry the head across the shop. My helper is a friend in construction and both of us were risking hernias carrying that monster.
Caution is the first step with anything.

I've got a harbor freight chain host I hang from a rafter in the garage and support posts on either side.

I used it to lift my heavy old RAS off the old table and onto the new table.

Makes more sense to use mechanical advantage anymore. :thumb:

For that broken crank handle - take it off and throw it away, then get somebody to weld up an adapter for the shaft that will let you use a 3/8" ratchet wrench handle on it. Better leverage, and you're not always busting your knuckles on the underside of the table.

C-Y-N-T-H-I-A

I just knocked over my DP. Yes, that's the long and the short of it. I'm an idiot. I was trying to move it by myself......bad idea. :( I'm too ashamed to show you a picture yet.....and I cut my hand too. Not bad enough for stitches, just enough to hurt.

Moral of the story. If you're not capable of doing something, then DON'T DO IT.

So as soon as I get some muscle in the house to help me lift it, I'll see what the damage is...........

Since misery loves company, has anyone else ever done something so stupid in their shop? It sure would make me feel better........

I dropped a pretty expensive milling vise day before yesterday and bent the acme thread that closes it. Spent a couple of hours getting it straight enough to work and still not well. And this while I am still trying to clean things up enough to have room to work and not getting much actual work "Play" done.

Cynthia, we all learn by making mistakes. You will learn from this, and since you shared your story, A lot of us will learn from it as well....and I thank you for sharing your experience. Thank the good Lord that you weren't hurt badly.

A handle can be replaced....your body parts can't

Keep the faith!

For that broken crank handle - take it off and throw it away, then get somebody to weld up an adapter for the shaft that will let you use a 3/8" ratchet wrench handle on it. Better leverage, and you're not always busting your knuckles on the underside of the table.

That's a good idea, Jim. I wasn't crazy about how that was designed. I have a friend who welds, and I'm seeing him and his wife tonight. I'll take it with me.

Here's my little stand. The DP is now too tall for me to work at comfortably, but Glassman is going to get his old shop to fabricate something for me to stand on that's solid and lightweight, like aluminum extrusion and Lexan. Initially he suggested that I get some high-heeled steel toed boots. :rofl: NOT.

View attachment 53971

Well I read the whole thread and no one else mentions it so maybe I am all wet but I think your base is still way to small and tippy for a full height drill press. Especially with the wheels on it.....A full heigtht really should be bolted down to the concrete floor but barring that I would want a weighted base at least twice that wide and deep....

[/QUOTE]
The good news is I didn't break any of my nails. :rofl: :thumb:[/QUOTE]

Ah the good news at last.. :)

Cynthia, we all learn by making mistakes. You will learn from this, and since you shared your story, A lot of us will learn from it as well....and I thank you for sharing your experience. Thank the good Lord that you weren't hurt badly.

A handle can be replaced....your body parts can't

Keep the faith!

Thanks Dom, I appreciate it, and I think you're right. And that's why I posted it. We all make mistakes. I'm glad I had the good sense to back off when I saw I couldn't stop the fall. It seems to work fine, so we both just have some battle scars....

I think that once I figure out where I want it permanently, I'm going to anchor it to the wall so it's not going ANYWHERE. :thumb:

Well I read the whole thread and no one else mentions it so maybe I am all wet but I think your base is still way to small and tippy for a full height drill press. Especially with the wheels on it.....A full heigtht really should be bolted down to the concrete floor but barring that I would want a weighted base at least twice that wide and deep....

I think you're right, Garry. Next time I'm at the orange borg I'll pick up some sand bags and improve that base. Honestly, I don't know why these DP's aren't designed and sold with a bigger base...and I'll talk to my welder friend tonight about modifying the base. thank you. :thumb: