How Do You Spell Humiliation?

I hold on to my end. Have you ever been holding on to the end of a big heavy cast iron thing when the other end hits the concrete floor? It's an experience like no other! ;)

Bill

I haven't done that, but a few years back when I had my own company, my partner and I were loading a 7,000# butter fly valve into a box using two fork lifts... my partner had the 5K lift and I had the 2K... he got faster than me when we started lowering the valve, my forklift blades took the brunt of the load, the counterbalance on the back side was raised about 18" in the air before the valve slipped off my blades... the counter balance fell 18" landing on the rear steering wheels which are about 10 or 12" diameter, solid rubber on steel rims...I think that is another time I've come close to a broken neck... I learned all about whiplash and had a headache for 3 days... we hired a crane to load the other 4 valves.

I've got a harbor freight chain host I hang from a rafter in the garage and support posts on either side.

I used it to lift my heavy old RAS off the old table and onto the new table.

Makes more sense to use mechanical advantage anymore. :thumb:

My philosophy is to never move anything by hand that can be lifted with a crane, hoist, dolley or whatever... that said, wish my rafters were high enough to use a hoist... I have 7' rafters in my shop... they make great places to drive nails and hand things over my head, but not much good for a chain hoist.

Cynthia

Picture a base of 3/4" or thicker plywood about the same size
as the one you show, at least long enough front & back for a 2x4 width or more so a 2x4 can set on top of it front & back sticking out on the sides for the caster to be mounted to the bottom of it, you could even put a spacer between to 2x4 & the plywood base to lower the base even closer to the floor. This way your DP is closer to the floor but you can still wheel it around. I think you could lower it to 1/2" to 3/4" off the floor to the bottom of the platform the DP will set on which would give a lower center of gravity.

Nope Cynthia,

I never dropped any, but I was given a 22" floor drill press that the previous owner had tipped over. He bent the same spindle handles and crushed the capacitor cover. That was a nice gift. I repaired it and it is still working.

Sorry for your mishap. please be super careful with all your machine moves. Hope your hand heals well and fast.

Aloha