Tree box

michael james

Larry M had asked if I had any pics of non turning stuff and so I'll up this for now. My furniture days are long gone and nothing really to brag about unless you really love rustic butcherblock type stuff, or formica work. But as I find something laying around I'll up it...

There are 2 of these chinese elms in the backyard and both were "boxed in" with railroad ties. Rain and hound dogs really messed that up so I went with this 4x4 construction, 3/4 marinegrade plywood sealed and plastic sheeting stapled on the inside to slow the water damgage. When we moved in we had a dobie/shepard xbreed that could stand and look over the wall. I bolted 2x4's all around the yard wall and screwed in 2' raised lattice around the whole back yard and then built a gate to match that. We have a culvert in back, so it's sort of a harder wall to go over from outside, and kept the dog (RIP) in without feeling walled in.

All that is to explain why the lattice is in the center and not something (or nothing else). General finish dark walnut gel stain, covered by the exterior clear finish. Decorative iron masks bolt holes as do the maple buttons. It doesnt remain shiny and new unless cleaned, but the finish is durable. Thanks for looking.
mj

PS - yes it is level all the way around :rolleyes:

Attachments

• treebox 1.jpg
    treebox 1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 64
  • treebox 2.jpg
    treebox 2.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 46
at first i thought i was gonna see one fancy little box with inlays in it:) then when i clicked it i saw the real box.. thats a nice way to make a elm look good:):D:thumb::thumb:

The box looks great and I like the lattice. I didn't know elm trees were still around. I thought the dutch elm disease wiped them all out. :thumb::thumb:

One of the founding fathers of the city, Clyde Tingley, thought they would be a great tree for our arid valley. Conisdered a trash tree water waster these days, but give great shade and hearty as heck. They are ALL over this town. I think it was the am elm that's gone.