Not Much But Its What I Got...

Matt Fornes

Heres the workshop. Just starting to get into the wood working. Grew up helping my dad and Grandfather but that was years ago. Just finished my first workbench. Its not much but it will do for now. Also included a picture of the whole area. 25'x12'. Only got about 22' to work with because according to the SWMBO, we can not get rid of all that stuff.:dunno:

Matt

Attachments

• photo-6.JPG
    photo-6.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 176
  • photo-7.JPG
    photo-7.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 180
  • photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 200
We all need to start somewhere! Back in '95 half of my "shop" consisted of a 20yr old tablesaw and a rough (rough!) table in the corner of my 1 car garage in Edmonton... (firing up the saw at -30 makes a unique scream...)
The other half was a 8x10'ish space in the basement where I could do some bench work and so on...

But I am mystified by the chain link fencing... Is this rental space or is that in your basement or garage?

But I am mystified by the chain link fencing... Is this rental space or is that in your basement or garage?

It is an apartment. The chain link fence divides the next garage. Right now its empty, but when someone gets I may hang some plastic against the fence to make a barrier for the dust. I don't want to get dust one anyone else's stuff.

Matt

Looks like you're on your way, Matt. A lot of good work has come out of smaller shops. :thumb: The bench looks better than any I've got. May it server you well. (And I think the plastic to contain the dust would be a good idea.)

My next project is to figure something out to do with the TS its a small contractor saw due to space saving. Was thinking something on wheels that would make the table larger. Maybe also integrate a router table into the same thing. Anyone have any ideas or plans?

Matt

Matt I echo what Art said. We all start somewhere and you made a great looking bench. :thumb:

Dont mind me but i am a security nut having lived in combat zones for most my life so you might think about how easy it is for that chain link to be well hacked. Your tools would bring a fair dollar at the local hock shop so when you do cover up the middle think about that. I dunno how good your budget is but a few sheets of drywall could perhaps just prevent the looki loos from even seeing what you have before it gets rented. Depends how long you there for.

As to the table saw there are loads of builds of similar things here that you want to do.

Alan has just made a unit like you describe

Check this thread out he actually cut down a rgid table saw to make his unit.

Matt I echo what Art said. We all start somewhere and you made a great looking bench. :thumb:

Dont mind me but i am a security nut having lived in combat zones for most my life so you might think about how easy it is for that chain link to be well hacked. Your tools would bring a fair dollar at the local hock shop so when you do cover up the middle think about that. I dunno how good your budget is but a few sheets of drywall could perhaps just prevent the looki loos from even seeing what you have before it gets rented. Depends how long you there for.

As to the table saw there are loads of builds of similar things here that you want to do.

Alan has just made a unit like you describe

Check this thread out he actually cut down a rgid table saw to make his unit.

I was thinking of something like this.
This one

I do worry about the security a little. We have renters insurance and I have pictures and documentation of everything down there. Whats cool about our renters insurance is that they don't give you the dollar amount of what it is worth. They give you the money to buy a new one just like it. Also, my apartment is right above the garage and I can hear it open and the one beside it. Everything is replaceable down there. If they come in the apartment they better come correct. :gonnagetit:

The bench looks great :thumb: The space has lots of potential. I've pretty much taken over the whole basement but there is one section where my wife stores her stuff and has forbidden me to even think of taking over. :(

Yer on yer way. :thumb:
My shop isn't much bigger, 14'X23'. Arrange to suit yourself.

Thats one thing that I have been trying to figure out. I dont think that the bench will stay where it is right now. Not sure though. As soon as I get some other things built it will work itself out. I hope anyway.

Matt

Thats one thing that I have been trying to figure out. I dont think that the bench will stay where it is right now. Not sure though. As soon as I get some other things built it will work itself out. I hope anyway.

Matt

Shops are a continuing evolution of change and most will never be done, I know mine won't:p But hey, ya got a place to make some projects and a good start on tools and equipment, so have some fun and make some dust:):thumb:

The SWMBO does need another book case. Her reading is out of control. She has a Nook so hopefully that will cut down on the amount of books, but she needs another.

You might have to be a member at Fine Woodworking to see these pages, I don't know, but if so, you can get a 15 day free trial....

>> Cherry Bookcase << The cherry can certainly be substituted with pine

>> Small Tool Cabinet << This could also be made from some pine, and it does not need to be for the workshop, it would work well in lots of places in a home.

Cheers!