Drill Press

Jeb Taylor

Does anyone have the delta 17-959 drill press? Looking at that, the steel city, and the new top end delta, but that's more than I really wanted to spend. Thought I'd see if anyone had any personal experience with one.

Dad and Bro have the 959. I have the 950 which is really just a giant "ShopMaster" ;-(. The 959 is a different class of machine, not just a bigger 950. The architecture is superior and the DP itself is one that more than one person purchased after returning their PM2800. I would hope the 18-900 is another step up in the woefully sparse "under $1000-decent drill press" market. I am not normally a Delta fan right off but, given the current selection and at the price, I would get the 959 and not feel uncertain about it at all.

Last edited:
Not sure what they cost, but I used a new Clausing the other day and it was very nice indeed. As a bonus it was made in Kalamazoo Michigan. Very nicely machined speed clutch.

I have old Walker Turners. They can be found cheap and are as good as anything new. In fact my big one is reversible, has an oil pump/galley should I ever need it and has an auto feed threader drive, and I bought it for $250 on Fleabay. This thing weighs I would estimate close to a thousand pounds.

I still have a Delta and can't wait for the day I can replace it. At least that started the day I took it out of the box:rofl::rofl:

Which delta did you buy Chuck?

I've been looking for a good used drill press for months. Only run across one reasonable option, the 20" grizzly but it was gone before I could get in touch with the guy that had it listed.

There's really not a lot I've seen new in that price range that caught my eye. I found the delta for $530 shipped this afternoon, most places want 550-600 + shipping.

That one. I'll go out and get the numbers off of it.:thumb:

Attachments

• tn_shop tour 003.jpg
    tn_shop tour 003.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 49
So is that a big bending brake you have there chuck?

And whats that alcove back there for?
:threadjacked:

No it's a little one.:thumb: A big one will bend 1/2" plate mine will only bend 24 gauge:(
That is the wet work area. I have a water drill set up for the drill press and the tile saw, and a wet gem grinder that I still have not set up in there.

Happy Steel City Owner

I bought the Steel City a few years ago and have been very happy. It was more than I wanted to spend at the time, but it should be the last drill press I will own. I love the 6" quill stroke. I use the laser often.

Yeah I've seen a number of used drill presses that just weren't worth going to get. They would have been great deals if they were local, but 2-3 hr drive one way is a quite a drive. A lot of the deals I've seen are only available at businesses too, mon-fri when I'm at work.

If I did metal fabrication, I'd be looking more along those lines, but I don't do any at home. Just ordered the delta. Jet has one with a similar table but not quite as much spindle travel. The steel city looks real nice too, but I really liked the table on the delta 17-959.

...Just ordered the delta. Jet has one with a similar table but not quite as much spindle travel. The steel city looks real nice too, but I really liked the table on the delta 17-959.

Congrats, Jeb. :thumb: You're gonna love having a big drill press. I have the Craftsman cousin to the Jet/Delta/SC 17" drill presses that I've been happy with. (I think the castings for all of them are coming from the same place in Asia.) Craftsman wouldn't have been my first choice for a drill press, but it was one of those "offer you can't refuse" things. ;) Still, it has served me well so far. I didn't worry much about the table, since I was planning to build my own anyway. (And I'm glad I did.)

Drillpress Delta 959

Hi,

I have the Delta 17-959. If you read Glenn's post you already know that. I am very happy with it. I have had no problems. I have had it approximately 3 years. Everything works and works well.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed and am enjoying mine.

Here is another Enjoy,

Jim

Here's the new drill press, love it so far. Have to build a fence for it that will work the the table t-slot system and then it'll be perfect. This is the first item I've purchased from acme tools. I was happy with them, quick delivery, best price I found, and they have a good selection of tools.

IMG_0002.jpg