I just wanted to show off.

Karl Brogger

Picked up my new boat in Florida last month. :thumb:

Going together for the first time:
167060_1646342569668_1570037517_31504439_8315186_n.jpg

Sitting on the beach in the Keys on Islamorada:
163289_1662151524882_1570037517_31531203_5831733_n.jpg

On the way to Charlotte Harbor to do another regatta. (mines on top, on the left):
168494_1688343339661_1570037517_31575366_810835_n.jpg

I made the front page of the local paper:
167002_1691268932799_1570037517_31580368_7411578_n.jpg

Rippin'
168997_1693965520212_1570037517_31585810_4226356_n.jpg

167627_1693964760193_1570037517_31585808_5230560_n.jpg

Ohhhh...can we swap some stories!! I run my Hobie 21 off Monterey, Ca and down in Baja. There are few things more fun that flying a hull!! Gratz!!:thumb::D

Toto, we're not in Minnesota anymore. :D

Sweet-looking rig, Karl. :thumb: The seats don't look all that comfortable, though. :p

Toto, we're not in Minnesota anymore. :D

Sweet-looking rig, Karl. :thumb: The seats don't look all that comfortable, though. :p

I get out of this frozen dump as much as possible when the weather turns less than hospitable. Being recently single, semi-homeless, and really not cut out for this crap weather, the only thing keeping me here is the business.

Why not pack up and take your business south?

If I were to move anywhere it'd be Florida, and the housing market is worse there than it is here. I've got quite a few contacts, including some potential work that could be had in the Cayman's, but I'm not sure I could handle building a list of clients like a have now all over again.

If I were to move anywhere it'd be Florida, and the housing market is worse there than it is here. I've got quite a few contacts, including some potential work that could be had in the Cayman's, but I'm not sure I could handle building a list of clients like a have now all over again.

So the question becomes, do you prefer handling living where you are indefinitely or handling building a new list of clients?..........:dunno:

I learned to sail a number of years ago, but only in a dinghy. Since I don't have one of my own, I only get out on a Laser maybe once a year at camp... I'd like to try out a catamaran sometime!

Hey Karl I am totally in awe and green with envy drooling and slobbering all over my keyboard.

What a great looking design . That cat must motor like crazy.
I have not kept up with all the new design but the idea of a spinny on a cat is way cool. Does it help keeping that leeward hull from submerging and sending you turtle. Must go like crazy on a broad reach.
Boy you got the heart pumping and juices flowing in me tonight and the memories you brought back with those double decked cats behind the pick up took me back some to some really good times.
Looks to me like the Aussies are showing the Hobbie guys a thing or two.
Thanks a ton for sharing this man that was a nice pic to have in the paper:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Oh and just for the record the spinny has nothing to do with round things. Thats for the spinny guys here.:D

Art you ain't lived till you been on a cat flying a hull hanging in a nappy from a wire.:D:thumb:

Last edited:
Very cool Karl..

In the 70s I raced a Prindle, then a Nacra, then a Stelleto, before other adventures became more important. I miss cats, but it is a young mans game. I don't move fast enough now, I'd be out there turtled trying to figure out what to do now....

Best we ever did was second in Michigan. We had it but broke the cleat that holds the main sheet in the second to last race, finished by holding the main by hand, didn't have the arms to do it again for the final that was right after, so we lost the title.

I don't know if there is a rule about diving off the back of the boat in dead air days, but we did that at a race on Lake Charlivoix. Dove off to push the cat and swam up and did it again and again. We won, and of course there were protests, but they could not find anything in the rules that prevented it.

We really just wanted to get back to the beer and the chicks on the beach..

You still got a panty rocket? I had to sell my 1200GT, Concours and my KTM 450 a couple of years ago when I got caught with too much overhead, miss the he double L out of them. Soon as I am able to pay cash for one I will be back on two wheels. Or one.;)

I have a bike I gave away years ago that came back, an old Silver Wing, and I may ride it out to Montana for a week in the spring if I can work it out. I'll get ahold of you if I do manage to pull it off......

Enjoy! I am envious of your location, your boat and your youth! :)

Larry

That's cool... I had a sail boat once.... it cost me $2000 to find out my wife didn't like to sail... and it was her idea to get the boat, but she was afraid if she got dunked it would mess up her hair....:rofl::rofl:

Way cool. When I was 17, I roofed and painted the neighbor's house in exchange for their 16' Hobie cat. I was fortunate enough to grow up on the beach (the Puget Sound) and could spontaneously go out whenever the wind picked up. I can't tell you how many times I turtled that thing from pushing it too hard. By necessity, I got pretty good at flipping it by myself.

Good times! :thumb:

Lucky you. I love sail boats and have never sailed. I started building one about 5 years ago (little 12') and it is still in my garage about 2/3's done. I will finish it before I die. I will take it out and try it. I will finish it before I die. I will take it out and try it. I will finish it before I die. I will take it out and try it.....

Lucky you. I love sail boats and have never sailed. I started building one about 5 years ago (little 12') and it is still in my garage about 2/3's done. I will finish it before I die. I will take it out and try it. I will finish it before I die. I will take it out and try it. I will finish it before I die. I will take it out and try it.....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I built a little sailing dingy out of plywood and made a sail for it out of a white plastic tarp. Put a Gaff rig on it.

I've used it once, but it was a blast!

But seriously, we have a 26' trailerable and are looking at getting back out on the water this summer. Sailing really is quite enjoyable.

Looking forward to the next Americas cup being in San Francisco. Maybe they'll actually televise it in the US this time...