Trigeminal Neuralgia....?

Stuart Ablett

My lovely wife is now having a big problem with >> Trigeminal Neuralgia <<

The drugs the doctors give her for the bad pain only partially work, they knock her out for anywhere from 4 to 6 hours, and they give her nasty side effects like a bad rash. The surgical options seem to sound as bad as the pain, and most are NOT covered by our "National Health Care" which would cost us maybe $6000 or more and could possibly not work, or if it does come back in two years :eek:

One thing I have found online that looks promising, is a product called >> "Painshield" << it looks fairly new to the market so there is not a lot of info out there....?

I'm wondering if anyone has something they can offer up about this problem, this is something that we cannot just live with.

Thanks!

Stuart, I know a couple of people that have it, but whose symptoms are reasonably controlled by meds. Based on what I know, I would suggest that she be seen by a good neurologist--if she hasn't seen one already. If she has I'd suggest a 2nd opinion. I don't know if that's possible in Japan. It's easy in the US, but frowned on here in Canada. If it was at all possible I'd suggest going to a center that specializes in it. I know of one at Johns Hopkins, but I'm sure there are others in other places.....FWIW.

Last edited:
Thanks Bill, I'd not found that, you saved me some time!

Cynthia, she is seeing a neurologist, but I too think she should get a second opinion, and am pushing her to do so. One thing that she is doing is going to acupuncture, a doctor that specializes in nerve problems, it was them that correctly diagnosed the problem as TN, not the regular hospital :doh:

Thanks everyone!

trigeminal neuralgia

Hi Stu,

You might want to check out http://www.savella.com/ This product is for a similar syndrome. I do not think it is approved in Japan but it is approved in the US. I agree with Cynthia. Johns Hopkins is leading edge. You might be able to contact their Pain Clinic.

The fun never ends(?). I have no experience to offer but, will hold you and yours in my thoughts. Give your family me best.