How cold is it?

We always have the it's hotter than woodpecker lips in ironwood posts in the summer. Well, I hate cold as much as I hate hot. How cold has it been at your place this winter.

I'll start the lowest here has been around 10.

My digi thermometer read -18 not long ago. But, I'm suspecting it was not correct and went bonkers at about zero.
We did hit about a legitimate -2 one night. It was the continuous, constant cold that got depressing.
Summer heat is a norm, I can tolerate that.
BTW, this is north-central Arkansas.

Hasn't been too bad here. Got down to -12°F a couple times.

Bad part of this Winter has been that it stayed below freezing from just a few days after Thanksgiving until just last week. New Years Eve it got up to 33°, but that was the only above freezing day for (the weatherman said) for 76 days.

it got cold enough to make the nose hairs stiff and the snow stiffened up enough for me to walk on top..translation is around -18F to - 20F without wind chill..cleans out air passages real well:)

-15 F here week before last (before wind chill)... at that point the snow squeaks when you walk on it.

Nah, it'll do that before it even gets to zero.

To get enough of a crust on it to walk on, it's gotta thaw and refreeze. That never happened here this Winter. :(

BTW, after a balmy few days in the high 40s/low 50s, we're back to 33° today. Down to 17° last night, and only supposed to be 12° again tonight.

Come on, Spring!!! (Please!)

We got down to 45 at night which is real uncomfortable for those of us that live below the Manson-Nixon line :).....looks like we will be back in the 80's all week though

We're presently in the middle of a "cold snap" and it's gotten down to as low as 30-32 degrees (depending on proximity to water mostly). Mind you, not that it gets that warm around here during the winter either. Typical highs and lows during February are something like 48/38.

Last edited:
It's so cold here that lawyers have their hands in their own pockets :D

It's so cold here that I had to chisel the dog off the fire hydrant :D

... I chipped a tooth on my soup!

...Grandpa’s teeth are chattering - in the glass!

...the politicians at city hall stopped blowing hot air.

...only people with names like "Al" and "Ed" had time to write their names in the snow.

Not all that cold here, but have had a few frosty mornings. We've had rain off and on this weekend, but I went out and shot this snow pic from my front yard a few minutes ago...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Snow on the Camel.jpg
    Snow on the Camel.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 66
We got below freezing a coupla night last month. Had to cover the pigmey Palms to keep em from getting frost bit.

But it's a dry cold.:rolleyes::rofl:

-12 is about the worst we've had this winter. The last week has been 50-60+ and one day was 71. Tomorrow the high is only around 29:huh: then back to 40's and 50's. Seeing geese flying thru and robins all over the place. Our local groundhog said early spring but I ain't planting garden just yet:thumb:

The coldest I ever remember was -24. It was around 85. My great uncle's house burnt that morning. I had spent the night with my grandmother and she lived one street over, so I walked over to watch. The fire department couldn't get any water on because their couplings/lines would freeze. Being a southern boy I was woefully under dressed. I'd have to play rotisserie to keep warm. I'd stand facing the fire for a few min. then stand facing away. If I lived where some of you guys did, I'd look like Ralphie's brother in A Christmas Story all the time.:D

Vaughn,

How many months of the year is the vegetation on the hillside as green as it shows in your picture?

The trees are green year-round, but the grasses and brush on the hill (under the snow) are brown about 8 or 9 months of the year. That pic was shot just over the neighbor's house. The hillside directly below the red fence in the upper left corner is part of their back yard, and it's irrigated, so it stays green all the time too.

Just for fun, here are a couple other pics of that same "camel hump" mountain from 2009...

attachment.php

And later that evening...

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_6959 800.jpg
    DSC_6959 800.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 52
  • DSC_7160 800.jpg
    DSC_7160 800.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 52