??? For cabinet makers ???

Tom Hoffman

How in your expereince, is the best way to glue up shaker rail and style kitchen cabinet doors so that no glue squeezes out of the corner joints on to the panel and there by making your door a mess? I have all my parts ready to start to assemble my doors and this problem has been vexing me and I have not been able to figure out how to get good clean glue ups.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Tom...:)

I've never done it myself, but I seem to remember reading that you can dry fit the parts, put down blue painter's tape right next to the joints, then pull everything apart and reassemble with glue.

The squeeze out should end up on the tape, which you can pull off once the squeeze out dries (or at least skins over). :dunno:

Just don't glue it all the way to the inside edge.

If its squeezing out, use less glue.

I also assemble the door with the rail hanging past the end of the stile a bit, then pound them flush once there's some clamp pressure. That seems to help somewhat too.

I'm not so sure about the type of door of you are talking about but I have always seen that in frame and panel doors or sides, the panels are NOT glued to the frame to allow for wood movement:dunno:

I put together a lot of doors and what we do is to apply glue to the tenon with a small brush and apply a wet coat but not enough to make it runny. Also the glue usually will squeeze out onto the panel at the corner so we do not apply glue to the last 3/4" or so. The glue will migrate a little into that area anyway once you apply some clamp pressure. Likely you may be using a bit too much glue, cut back a little and watch where you apply the glue.

You're always going to have a door here and there with glue in a corner. Either a damp rag while the glue is still wet, or wait for it to dry and use a small chisel.

Thank you one and all...

I had not done any yet, hence the question for advice before I tried it I followed your good advice and the doors went together just fine and no squeeze out in the corners.

I used panel buddies to keep the panels centered and since they are foam rubber, they will depress some what if the panel wants too move. These are quarter sawn white oak vaneer on what looks like masonite hard board core. Beautiful stuff. Had to do a small amount of fill in the joints, but all is well, when I get the final sanding done tomorrow, I will snap a few pics and post for your enjoyment.

Thanks again.

Tom...

I use a acid brush and put a coat of glue on the tennon 2/3 the way up it from the edge. This seems to work for me so far. Just put a thin layer on, no ned for a thick coating as it will squeeze out.