My newest challenge

Mike Mathieu

Hi everyone
Well it's been awhile since I've done a new Intarsia piece (or any scrolling for that matter) but with the warmer weather here in Va. it's time to get back in the shop and get creative. Here are a couple of pics of my newest creation to be. It will be titled "Caught in the Headlights" and will be my first night time scene. I've been wanting to do this for quite awhile.I will be combining parts of these three photos to depict a rather humorous setting that will include wildlife together in what would be considered an un-natural chance encounter.This piece will be set in a 20" x 24" walnut frame. I will be using lots of ebony, different shades of green poplar, lignum vitae, blue mahoe , ziricote, Peruvian walnut and who knows what else to create the dark backgrounds. I am drawing the pattern now and I can envision upwards of 300 to 400 pieces in this intarsia. Loads of fun for sure!!! Stay Tuned

caughtintheheadlights011.jpg

caughtintheheadlights005.jpg

caughtintheheadlights006.jpg

A rather original approach different from the usual intarsia themes I've seen, I look forward to see the final pics and its process if you please.

My intention is to make this a WIP but it will be spread out over the next couple of months as I will only be working on it when my work schedule permits. I did manage to get the frame done . 20”x 24” walnut with a birds -eye maple accent allowing 1/2” recess inside the frame for the intarsia.

caughtintheheadlights014.jpg

I also began drawing the pattern. Because I hand draw my patterns I start off by making a scaled grid (in this case 1/2”=1”).This photo shows the grid layout on the interior shot of the car which is only used to get the finer details and measurements.

caughtintheheadlights012.jpg

Although the actual intarsia depicting the interior of the car will be comprised mostly from ebony it is important to capture as much detail as I can for added depth and dimension . What will be seen mostly are the reddish lights as in this photo.
caughtintheheadlights005.jpg

Here is what I have so far on the pattern. Still a bunch of work but it’s getting there.

caughtintheheadlights.jpg